Gauging interested in glow wheels that don't suck

Wheels with leds that activate when rolled have been done but have sucked pretty bad.

Who would be interested in a set of MAD Wheelz with translucent urethane and light up leds?

If so, what color would you want to see?

Thanks in advance!

13 Likes

this is how translucent green looks like :yawning_face:

20210311_170736_1

5 Likes

I think that greenlooks great! Red pink blue, all good colors. Personally wouldn’t be able to resist madwheels in pink. That would make me glad i didnt buy em this time lol

3 Likes

Red. Definitely red !

1 Like

We already have a thread that goes into detail on the various glow wheel options, and some reviews from fellow forum members:

3 Likes

My kids razor scooter has these :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Don’t those look super nasty after just one ride though? Which is an issue with all light colored wheels after they are ridden

1 Like

Could you shine light into the wheels to make them glow?

I’m just thinking, wheels that don’t suck are one thing, but wheels that I want are another pretty established thing. Many of the wheels I want/have are already translucent.

2 Likes

I had a thought like this a while back specifically with a uv light and the blue TBs.

1 Like

You could embed LEDS into the wheels you have and then use an electro-magnetic field to light them up without wires.

The pigment used for a high UV response is extremely expensive and may not react well with the thane while it cures. Although, It would be easier for established brands to try it out since they would just need the new pigment to test them out. Instead of all the extra work and molds that they would need to put LEDs into the wheels

I never end up riding mine, so idk how would they be after one or two rides

Hey that was my next idea!

Flashy flashy

1 Like

I will totally buy glowy light up wheels if the thane doesn’t suck.

2 Likes

Shining a UV light at plastic for a longer period is just asking for trouble though. :smiley:

1 Like

Uv preventative materials and treatments are commonly added to products for increased uv resistance

Clear wheels, rgb cycling/programmable lights would be ideal… Til they yellow. As such, id humbly request purple.

2 Likes

ftfy

2 Likes

Its like the worst pokemon evolution.

1 Like

Here is what I was thinking, a translucent clear wheel made of urethane that is soft and will not yellow over time that is based on an established design like the Boosted 105/MAD wheel.

Another option is something like red or orange translucent urethane. I have seen other skate wheels made out of this material that seem not to change color. Even fi they do yellow a bit, they don’t look like ass.

The LED/core will need to be redesigned. I have been looking into the current design that uses a modified pulley to work. Not ideal.

It should be a wheel what works with a standard pulley. Not sure if this is actually possible. I will keep thinking about this. In the meantime, time to start working on a larger urethane wheel.

2 Likes

im gonna say this is practically impossible, even my black tb110 also has a thin brown layer after some time

2 Likes