Fuse your charge ports: Ft. The smallest user serviceable fuse/holder

DC can arc at 30V, just takes special circumstances.

1. When two wires start touching and separate DC can continue the circuit by arcing. This is the primary reason fuses have a voltage rating, so they pop quick enough to sever the circuit before an arc can continue it.

2. When the ends of each line are big enough (and close enough) to act as capacitor plates, energy will build up and arc to complete the circuit. Big enough is relative, the little metal balls on a blown fuse line (think glass fuse) is generally big enough to act as a capacitor plate, but usually the air gap is too big.

4 Likes

Got a question. Fusing my charge port, isn’t connecting a fuse to a positive wire make it more acceptable to popping mid charge? Or is is safer fusing it to the negative wire, whipped up a diagram of what I’m doing, if I made any mistakes please let me know. What I know so far is the balance wires are correct since I’m rocking two 5s lipos put in series so that gives me 10s

1 Like

I fused positive wire from charge port to battery +

1 Like

Hasn’t popped during charging?

1 Like

Not anymore

:rofl:

First attempt, I had the charge port shorted by some bad soldering on my part. It popped to protect the battery

3 Likes

:joy:I’ll make sure not to do that. Good to know, and I’ll plug it into the B- or C- of the BMS?

On mine there is no C-

From BMS,
B- goes to batt negative
P- goes to battle positive with the fuse in between

1 Like

I got a 10s BMS that has P-, B-, C-. P- and B- for charge port, Ight

1 Like

Are you using your bms for charge and discharge?
I am not sure how to wire it using those ports.
Let’s ask some of the experts

@A13XR3 @BenjaminF
Please

I want to protect the cells as well charge them. So could be charge

Hello, do you recommend this 1000v 10A fuse for charge protection?

Battery is 12s5p molicel p42a. Charger is 50.4v 10A.
Thank you

No, something like this works a lot better.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/0997010WXN?qs=WtG364jHAdy5LE5QZNHWkA%3D%3D

Thanks for your answer.
Too bad. I live in France

Curious to know why you don’t trust this kind of fuse
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vbw5I4

Specs? or Quality?

You want the voltage closer to actual voltage being used. Fuses are designed to pop in specific ways based on the voltage

1 Like

If you get the manufacturer part number from that listing, you can search for them locally.
You can also search for fuses with the same ratings (58V 10A, et cetera).

It’s got way too high of a voltage, and it’s physically very huge and heavy.

Ok thank you

1 Like

Thank you fuse. And thank you Forum for stressing this.

5 Likes

Nice.

What popped it?

1 Like