Focbox Unity issues

Today stopped for a beer. board up against the wall. turned my board back on to go and it behaved all funky, because it had lost it’s settings. had to redo motor detect, hall detect, reset voltage cutoffs ( they were set for 10s board is 12s)

I’ve heard this happening to other people, what causes that?

if it’s in this thread my searches were too poor to find it.

6 Likes

No clue. It’s happened 3 times to me in total, each one seemingly random.

2 of the times I think I let the board auto time out is the only odd thing I did.

Someone mentioned setting up the board initially through the app vs the computer maybe being an issue but never got any confirmation.

6 Likes

Happened to me once. It might be the letting the board time out by itself thing. Pretty sure that was what I did

3 Likes

Happened once on each of my boards.
One on 24.46 the other on 24.44.
I disabled motor temp not sure if that’s it but when I did that I’ve had no problems with it losing my settings.
And my boards do shut off after 5 minutes.
I still let them time out and sometimes not.

2 Likes

Fess was it with a Metr connected as well? Mine happened at intro to speed once :sleepy:

2 Likes

This problem is unique to FOCBOX UNITY and I don’t know what causes it. Some people blame Metr Pro module, but I don’t believe this is true

@mackann maybe knows more? He has built a lot of boards with FOCBOX UNITY

1 Like

Doodzzz… did happenz to me 2 … so annoying ughhhhhh…

It happens 2 me when I don’t use the board 4 a while…

Next time it happens ima unplug the metr n see if it fixes…

But yea I usually have to redo everythingz as well…
Sigh glad we all in this together…

All in this together … da da daaa… sumthin sumthin

:space_invader:

3 Likes

I did have Metr unity installed.
unity Fw 23.44
i did let the board timeout and auto off. which I don’t usually do, but I probably do sometimes.

2 Likes

On that note did it allow you to program it with the Metr still installed or did you need to take it out to be able to reprogram it?

I used metr to reconfigure the unity.

I have an Iphone. So first we tried to get unity app on @kook’s android to connect to it, but it wouldn’t find it. ( force quit metr on my phone so it wasn’t connected).

eventually did motor detection and config from metr. which I’d never done before. but it mostly worked. didn’t seem to get the hall sensor detection quite right though.

2 Likes

Hmm… That’s very similar to what happened to me when Dave can to Intro to speed. Except it locked the Bluetooth from working.

I’ve had it happen plenty of times with the stock module and the metr module. It’s definitely not your hardware. No Bluetooth drop outs with your module tho! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Mine happened without a Metr module. I don’t own one.
And I don’t ride with the Bluetooth activated on my phone.

1 Like

No metr module here @rpasichnyk!

I think you are safe :+1:

My Unity wasn’t turning on early this week and I was fearing the worst. Found that the stock BT module had vibrated out of the socket (possibly shorting stuff?) I pull the module out and the Unity turn back on, then I plugged it firmly back in and it didn’t turn on again. So now I’m using the Unity without the stock BT and have a METR module plugged in. Real test ride to see if anything else is wrong when I get a new remote since I stupidly lost it yesterday

1 Like

yeah that was totally weird… but worked…

I;m not discounting user error (on my end) but try as I might I could not get the voltage cut offs to lower (on the same ride with (Fess) and all telemetry stopped…
board would run, but battery was almost flat and I had to be pushed to get back to the cars…

Worked fine once I gave the battery some juice, it was at 36 volts (12s) fully charged back up to 50+

Exonerating metr. it got the hall detection right. but “sensor mode” was still set to sensorless. though it could have assumed I wanted that since I did hall detection.

2 Likes

I think I’m running into the same issue here but with the Flipsky vx2. In the UI I had to set the uart to 115200 baud and applied that to get the remote input in. But when I go to calibrate it just hangs

and the motors are not going full speed.

Sorry I’m new to the VESC tool, but what exactly did you do with the 2.06 tool?

Don’t follow my advice. I thought I had everything running sensorless FOC on fw 5.06 and after a few rides I experienced sudden braking on one side that resulted in a broken arm. Today I hooked the Unity back up to my PC and I cannot get the motors to detect correctly. I am not sure if my problem is blown drv chips or the motor. More testing to follow. I am getting a “Flux linkage detection failed” if I try to run the wizard. Good luck and BE CAREFUL. Bench test the fuck out of it. And gear up, especially for those shakedown runs.

1 Like

wouldnt this: Unity not booting? You are not alone! (How to fix the bootloader)
Correct your bluetooth? Ive done this and its not hard, I put the vesc firmware on and bricked mine.
Then I did this and revived it. Maybe try this.

1 Like