Focbox Unity issues

Should have it on my pc will check soon.

The enertion boards github won’t be taken down and it is hosted there.

10 Likes

What’s the most reliable Focbox Unity FW? I believe I heard it being 23.46 but just checking…

are you planning on running a motor temp sensor?

you’ll experience minor cut-outs from poor thermal sensor temp readings on 23.46 causing throttle cut-outs “glitches”

you can turn motor sensor throttling off… de-pin the motor temp sensor… or wait till the problem is solved in beta version 5…

1 Like

I’m planning on using temp sensors :grin: So there is no FW that works on temp sensors so far? Sorry for sounding stupid, never really kept track of Unity…

1 Like

I’d encourage going with FW 5.0 we have added some new filtering to motor temp sensing. Testing has been favourable.

Also not all motor temp sensors are created equal. We never had issues with our temp sensors in raptor hubs.

7 Likes

read what I wrote you goof!

and start reading from here down:

I had ZERO issues on 23.46, DIYd a temperature thermister on some motor and then I observed some throttle glitchyness…

Alan had the same… @drone001 had the same issues… he turned off temp sensor throttling and now zero issues…

I could do the same or upgrade to V5 beta… but I’m going to attempt to wrap the sensor wire around the phase wire runs to clean up the noise caused by long runs of parallel phase and sensor wires… and maybe copper foil shield the sensor wire… FIRST

3 Likes

Sweet! I’ll just turn the throttling off then!

1 Like

just wanted to add that i had a friend whos board was saved by the thermal throttles this week.

he was out riding and started to loose power. stopped to check everything and one motor was scalding hot.

Turns out one of his gearbox’s shifted somehow and was causing loads of extra friction. but thanks to the thermal throttle no lasting damage was caused.

4 Likes

I usually stop when I smell burning enamel and grease… hahahaha but this is a valid point! @DEEIF hand check your motor temps, especially on a new build, until you get a feel how they run…

Like we do on new set-ups on qwads!

or go straight to beta fw v5

1 Like

I have been running FW 23.46 without issues on some TBDD’s. I generally don’t hit my temp limit unless I’m doing repeated drags on 80 amps so I rarely have a chance for temp throttling glitches. Also, this is the first I am hearing of this so it’s news to me. Lightweight, flat roads FTW!

1 Like

I’m assuming you mean 23.46 but same here, motors at 80A and no sign of issues. I do have my thermal throttling on but set at the max 135°C lol

3 Likes

that’s great news… I was unaware that the TBDD had temperature sensors… :open_mouth: :star_struck: :laughing:

1 Like

Yes, good catch! No sense in causing more confusion. Edited above accordingly

Also I have mine set to start throttling at 80˚C if that makes a difference.

1 Like

The 2nd batch+ do I think. The 1st batch did not IIRC. They are great BTW thanks for asking lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Hi guys I have a problem. My focbox cannot calibrate one side of the motor and it makes a hissing sound which is scary. Could somebody help me pls :frowning:

1 Like

Post some pics of your set up and app settings :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I would start with checking your connections, make sure nothing is shorting out. Sometimes it’s a bad connection that causes issues with detection. Is it the motor making the odd noise? If so, I would swap the motor to the other side to confirm it’s the motor and not one side of the Unity acting up.

If your comfortable, you could also check the PCB underneath the orange cover of the Unity. You could also reflash the firmware but make sure to follow everything carefully so you don’t brick your Unity.

Start with your connections first, no sense in messing with something that doesn’t need to be messed with!

1 Like

This is what’s happening and like I tried almost everything and one thing good is that my motors are not the problem. Its the focbox. Apparently one side of the motors can calibrate and the other side could not.

1 Like

I just realised that my focbox is hissing now