FAULT_CODE_OVER_TEMP_MOTOR (feat crash at 47kph)

I thought i was gonna have to move the metr module to the other vesc. but thanks to the metr update it now separately records both temperature values. and according to that, there’s a very similar noise in both motor temperatures.

which probably means I’ll try possibly the shielded cable route next.

here’s this mornings commute.

4 Likes

Hmm, I ordered some 6 conductor shielded cable, to make shielded sensor wires. … for some reason I got 18awg pretty sure I need 24 awg to crimp the jst-ph connectors on the end. and it was too stiff. so little more delayed on that experiment.

2 Likes

if youre bored, could take the shielding off an Ethernet cable and run the sensor wires through it

2 Likes

I did go ahead an order some shielded ethernet cable with stranded 26 awg wires, i’ll cut up to redo the sensor wires with. hopefully that will suffice. I didn’t easily find anything stranded shielded 24/6 which was my target.

not sure what i’m gonna ground the shield too. could tie it to the ground wire on the vesc side connector… or somehow find my way to some other point of ground plane of the vesc. I think it should be vesc side and not motor side. but not really sure why I think that. I think I read not to do both.

filed hopefully clear bug, on the fault code message reporting the wrong temperature.

2 Likes

Hmm, this is from the unity thread but wondering if this will improve the situation i experinced here with og focboxes.

Still haven’t gotten around to trying to rewire with a shielded cable.

1 Like

Same problems, but I triggered the fault again. Despite the temporary workaround max moto rtemp of 120c.

my measured temps in metr never got a value above 86. fault says the temp was 77.27. same 'ol thing

log of my abusive ride.

1 Like

I just got this today too for the first time happened after I switched from APS 6384s to Maytech 6396’s

If I wasn’t getting this with the APS’s I assume it’s from them not having temp sensors. Have you tried pulling out the temp sensor? That’s likely what I’m going to do.

When it happened:

2 Likes

Are you using FW 5? Since switching to FW 5 I haven’t had this bug anymore.

no I’m still on 3.65. Been meaning to get my head around The similar problem people complained about in fw5 but that showed up later, so I don’t know if it’s the same thing. .

yeah without temp sensors you won’t get this fault.

but also consider

1 Like

any luck updating to fw5 or does the issue persist?

I haven’t updated to fw5 yet. been trying to understand if it’s stable or not and what if any temperature related changes were fixed.

I found one, but it was also introduced in 5.

But now I do find that fw5.0 contains a slower low pass filter fix that could very well be a fix for this.

So… fw 5.0 is a fix? I’ll need to test this out. cc @Pedrodemio looks promising.

2 Likes

I will give this a try

Jeff and Vedder are hard at work trying to solve this problem

Has anyone discussed using toroids for high frequency noise suppression? This appears to becoming common when using variable frequency drives in industrial machinery and automation, to deal with the spikes… Might be necessary in conjunction with the current low-pass filtering.

Generally you use the toroidal cores around the actual wires to/from the motor and controller, with inductively suppress high frequencies very effectively. The spikes themselves are inductive I think, and shielded wires aren’t enough to stop them showing up in the motor windings, and are bad for the longevity of the motors regardless.

This is outside of my wheelhouse, so I’m simplifying and probably getting some of the jargon wrong, but, worth exploring. I know the toroids available “specifically” for this application tend to be pretty expensive from domestic suppliers, but there’s been some videos recently on the effectiveness of similar import cores that are pretty inexpensive ($20-30 for larger ones) and testing effective suppression in the frequencies necessary. Let me know if you want some links.

1 Like

to me, it seems far easier to do analog-digital conversion adjacent to the sensor itself, and convey the measured temperature to the esc over a relatively noise tolerant bus like i2c. parts like mcp9808 are inexpensive, have acceptable precision, have libraries already available (because they are commonly used by hobbyists), and are 5v tolerant.

i don’t expect everyone to share my view, since most people ride with hall sensors instead of as5047’s

4 Likes

Benefits seem clear to me, wish more motor manufacturers used it, especially since vescs have support for it.

3 Likes

So I am also running 3.65 and experiencing this fault. Hesitation and cogging around 18 mph and then this motor temp fault hits. Seems random, motor is not hot to touch…

Is this a fw bug, time to upgrade? I’m running a Flipsky Dual and heard 3.65 is latest stable for this ESC