First Build Thread! - Subsonic Century 40 / Haggy Drivetrain / Eboosted Enclosure

First Build everyone!

Been putting this off too long and finally told myself I had to just do it now. Also pushed along a bit faster after my first few rides started to scuff it up a bit! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyways, here she is completed! I definitely had some inspiration from a few builds on this forum already.

Here’s the Parts:

Over a month ago now, the first parts arrived! I spent far too much time just staring at this kit as the rest came much slower. (Corona didn’t help that process.)
Haggy makes great stuff!

Now I really wish I took more pictures of the build process, but to be honest it felt more like assembling as most of the hard work was done by others. You all made this process seem easy for me!

I was lucky enough to have @Bradley from Subsonic Skateboards Install an Eboosted Enclosure to my Century 40 and record the process! Great work here all around, really impressed!

How to Install a Battery Enclosure on an E-board

I soldered up and wrapped the bullets and an XT90 to the ESC. (The TS100 and how to solder threads were a huge help here as a newbie)

Went to a friends garage and mocked up the Battery and ESC placement with Velcro and taped the enclosure for drilling the Loopkey and Charge ports.
This was probably the scariest part cause this enclosure is so pretty and I did not want to screw it up (I also used that file to channel phase wires holes) :

Here’s a picture of the Battery and ESC in place:

Glued and applied some Silicon to the ports I made:

Mounted the enclosure on and wrapped the phase and sensor wires with Electriduct:

(Unfortunately I stripped one of the M4’s doing the enclosure - I think it snagged a bit of the gasket on the way in and I was too eager on the Allen wrench :frowning: - I still have to remove this bolt when I take this apart to install my Metr Pro in a few weeks and check the insides and order some replacement bolts)

Here’s a side-shot showing clearance:

Some Under-Belly shots ( After I scuffed it a bit riding a trail right behind my house on the second test drive, naturally. You may also notice I carved a nice circle of paint off one of the motors cause I didn’t tighten the motor mount down before test benching it! :sweat_smile:)

One more!!

I still have to mess around more with the VESC settings and what not, and install a Metr Pro that is on order. I also have some shredlights SL100’s - but not sure how to mount them to this deck with this nose angle without blinding folks - so taking any ideas on lighting as well.

Please feel free to critique and offer any insight! It was an absolute blast building this board, even more fun zipping around the neighborhood! I am very impressed with how smooth, stable and torquey she is!

It’s been a pleasure learning from all of you on this forum, you all have me hooked!

-Dave

18 Likes

Nice. Looks familiar, lol.

4 Likes

Loooooool! Was about to say the same thing! What a great build tho

1 Like

Yeah!! certainly not my intention to steal haha! I had some of this on order when I saw ya’ll posted your thread, I did have a lot of inspiration from others here too though, naturally!

2 Likes

It looks awesome bro! What a sick first build! Glad my I could help! :unicorn:

2 Likes

No such thing as theft when it comes to DIYs lol! We all take inspiration from one another. The Big flipsky, I had a few of them and overall very happy with its performance.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it! Was such a bummer when the Neobox scam blew up on me. I haven’t really done anything to the flipsky aside from the setup wizards - so if you have any unsolicited advice on other settings i should be looking at I am all ears.

1 Like

That thing boasts some crazy current values, for flipksy i apply the general rule or running them at no more then half their rated specs. so if you keep to around 100 batt amps you should be good. it will definitely sustain burst of more, but dont push it too hard. the 12s4p 40t pack is perfect , at 100 amps it should stay fairly cool and 100amps is going to give you a lot of ooomph. Only other issue i had with that big fsesc, is when running motor detection, if you had anything plugged into the uart ports it would not detect. That may have been fixed tho, my flipskys were from over a year ago.

1 Like

When there’s so few options for good parts, we are bound to have similar boards. Especially when the color scheme of the deck matches. I’ve seen quite a few similar set ups to mine that were posted long before.

Might want to get in on the @longhairedboy pulleys for when you want to go faster. I like that gearing so much that I ordered a set for my next board that’s build is underway.

3 Likes

Alright thanks for the input, I also had issues with the uart connected so good to know I am not alone there… I’m not even sure where I landed after the wizard tbh - gotta get back in there to check

Nicely done man :+1:

1 Like

Love the setup… looks great.

would this work with the AVKII helical gears at all? the motors mount front ways … would it clash with the deck at all?

1 Like

Yeah the avio mk2 gears found here: [In Stock] Herringbone Gears Avio MK2 Gear Drive Are made to fit kahua trucks. There’s some boards from users on here with this setup linked at the top of the thread.

Time for a quick update. I’ve had a few issues so far detailed below-

Popped my first loopkey! Apparently the glue I used to secure the xt90 to the panel mount came undone and when I attempted to insert my loopkey it pushed the male end further inside my enclosure and only made a half connection. I’ve since jb welded it secure and that seems to have done the trick.

I got the enclosure screw loose! It’s not too stripped, however I cannot get it to screw back into the insert any further than the depth at which it was previously caught, any ideas here?

Lastly, but certainly not least… FLAT TIRES!! 3 OF THEM!! I’ve got less than 30 miles total on this thing so this one is really frustrating and limiting my ability to ride. I’m not a particularly heavy dude (175 lbs) and I’m not hitting anything on the road that would be cause for concern. I think my first two flats may have been with tires at a high pressure, but my third was after I lowered the pressure down a notch (I’m waiting on a pressure gauge to confirm).

Anyone have tips on how to avoid flats??

Guilty of smoking a loop key too.

How long are the screws that you are using? I went to 20mm almost across the board due to that. Forgot that I have washers too. 15mm would work without.

Bergs I only had one flat and it was at 50psi. When I went to 60psi, I didn’t have any across 300 miles until they wore out. Do you have the o-rings on the valve stems? I’m 240-250 btw. Shit roads too.

2 Likes

bottom tap of appropriate size and pitch

2 Likes

For the enclosure screws I’m not sure how long they are, something is definitely off with this one insert or screw though (it came pre-installed from subsonic and it was initially seated all the way in - same length as the other screws too)

For the PSI I may have ruined the integrity of the tires by overinflating at first, they were firm to the touch but I’m unsure of the exact levels… so that could definitely be partly to blame. I’m not gonna fill or ride any further until my new pump with gauge gets here on Wednesday… I do have the o rings though, and have been sure to use em when I swap tubes

Well this is humbling, I’m too green to know what you’re referring to here. Are you suggesting I should re-thread the insert somehow?

1 Like

Yeah, he saying to buy the correct tap and retread the insert. However, what I saw was it was the last couple threads on the screw that were getting flattened, not the insert.

1 Like

Got It, thanks! I’ll scope the screw itself next time and if that’s not it I’ll look into re-threading the insert

1 Like