Fibreglass : Mold and Enclosure Making : How To and How Not To

Yeah, I’d heard of hairspray as an adhesive?

2 Likes

Apparently it works really well on the print bed of a 3d printer…

But back in my hoodlum days we also used to use it on paper stickers as a ghetto weather proofer so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Don’t mind me, i’m just jealous that I don’t have a proper vac setup… yet.

2 Likes

It’s basically spray on plastic. I bought PVA mould release but have read that it can be hard to get a good finish using it unless you spray it and I don’t have that gear. Might try brush or wipe it on but expect I’ll get brushmarks.

1 Like

If you use a foam brush, you don’t get brush marks. And it is so watery that it flattens out anyway. The pva release is good stuff :+1:

1 Like

Oil free diaphragm pump
Vacuum control switch so it doesn’t run constantly.
Churrrr

NZ$ 132.61 10% Off | TC-100 AC110V/220V Oilless Diaphragm Vacuum Pump 100w Medical mute pump with 24L/min vacuum flow
https://a.aliexpress.com/_sw1W6a

NZ$ 3.72 2% Off | 6mm 1/4" Universal Silicone Air Vacuum Hose/Line/Pipe/Tube 2/3/5 meter BLACK 10X6mm
https://a.aliexpress.com/_sdhl4K

https://www.smcpneumatics.com/poweraire/Miniature_Pneumatic_Components.pdf#page15

Plus brass fittings and stuff from a gas fitting shop. Some one way valves.

3 Likes

I used to use it to stick my BMX handlebar grips on!

5 Likes

Some sanding done, and clear coat. Gave up the sanding and repairs on a couple of bits. The plastic release layer against the mould caused some areas of the fibre to sit slightly off the mould during layup but then fill with epoxy when I vacuum bagged it. Thick epoxy layer then formed unevenly at those tight corners. No major, try again another time maybe without that release layer. Happy enough with this though. Chur.

25 Likes

You should be happy! It looks sweet as bro!

4 Likes

That looks great. It’s one of those things where to an outsider looks damn near perfect but the creator an point out all the flaws.

8 Likes

Haha. Yup. As soon as I got the part out of the mould and saw it’s defects I immediately wanted to re-do it to fix the issues. Lessons learned.

6 Likes

Yeah that looks real nice honestly

4 Likes

Nice work!! Looks fantastic!! Keep posting new versions if you get around to making more :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Where did you get the vacuum connector? And have you managed to reuse a vac bag or use a new one each time?

2 Likes

Vac attachment. Made it with bolts washers and a 6mm barb fitting. Bought stuff from AliExpress but in hindsight the local gas fitting shop would be better.

Bags rip. I have used cheap AliExpress plastic and recently tried premium stuff from USA. Stretchlon 200, really stretchy pretty good…

1 Like

Anyone have examples of what kind of contours standard bagging tube can handle and what requires the stretchlon 200?

I have both. About to attempt my first bagging setup skinning a 3D printed enclosure.

The stretchlon 200 is very stretchy. They quote 500% but that seems like a bit of an exaggeration. The standard bag film I have used aren’t too stretchy really, so I have used larger bags and allowed length for the bags to pull tight into all of the corners of the mould.
Also be aware that stetchlon can stick to epoxy. Last time I used it, I used it as a mould liner (release layer) with epoxy and CF directly onto it and there were a few areas where it didn’t peel off the part which was a pain to sand off afterwards. No idea why.
Good luck. Post pics.

3 Likes

There are no mistakes in fiber reinforced plastic (FRP), only more sanding :joy:

very nice work, congrats :+1:

5 Likes

Comparison pics.
Stretchlon 200 and cheap vac bag film on same mould. Left a lot of loose material lap on the standard vac bag film cos it just doesn’t stretch the same. Stretchlon was taped on (pulled flat) and just a stretched to the mould shape.

5 Likes

I have started my next fibreglass enclosure quest…

Will hold a 10s6p and smart BMS, top box for mtb.

About to start making a buck for an ESC enclosure too.

I hope these can happen without too much trouble :grimacing:

8 Likes