Board flex (honestly have no idea what to do at this point)

Maybe a latter of fiber and another veneer. Flex is good though and I would would bet your lipos go bad before they ever get damaged by the flex…

1 Like

Was thinking about using carbon fiber for the top, not sure if bottom is needed. Would be my first time doing it. Might add a face layer on top as well. My lipos are CNHL. Good brand plus I’m running an BMS so the lipos would be monitored / set to safety voltages

Skin it in UD Cf

Suggest 1 or 2 layers 200gsm to the bottom.

Motor is mounted on the truck and adds no weight to the deck (in terms of deck flex) so that is not the issue.

I bought a dervish flex 2 and turned it into an LDP board by skinning with 2/200gsm UD CF top and bottom and it’s awesome. I’m 100kg. Still has some flex but it’s way stiffer.

4 Likes

Adding carbon to the top won’t make it mush stiffer under foot. The CF or FG laminate needs to be in tension, to add stiffness on the deck, so it needs to be on the underside.

2 Likes

I figured it was not adding enough veneers, you mind PMing me what you used and also how to do it? Is it simple or challenging. So far I haven’t found anything as effective as what you said so i’ll give this a try

I used epoxy resin and UD CF fabric at 200gsm weight. Aligned the fibres along the deck.

I vac bagged it while it cured with peel ply and a bleeder/breather fabric.

Have a few pics on my workshop thread, but not too much description. Plenty of resources around online - some good west systems info.

Edit - some info here on the vacuum bag stuff I have used:

2 Likes

What kind of epoxy resin you recommend? Also i got an vacuum bag i can use. Trying to see what epoxy is the best, do i need to get a hardener also? (was watching tutorials, that’s why i asked)

Depends on what you’re using it for and how it’ll be applied.

I have used west system lots. For wet layup and also vac bagging. It’s good, but maybe some cheaper options about.

Have also used vinyl ester resin for infusion cos it’s a lot thinner and flows better which is important for that.

Probably will be used for the board, might implement that into future boards as a modernized look. I do like to have the sides exposed the veneer, could i cut the extra CF off or its basically impossible since its cured onto the board

You need a hardener.
Lots of options.
I have used West 105/206 and also 105/207 (has a us stabiliser so won’t yellow over time like others can).

Use the search on here bro. @glyphiks has posted heaps of good stuff about the processes. Also look at old whitepony stuff on builders for historic cool builds

1 Like

Once it’s cured, use a metal file and sandpaper to cut it off around the edges of the deck.

Alright, Where do i get the fleece?, forgot the other stuff

Fabric store, polyester batting works (and is what I use)

It just soaks up excess resin and gets binned afterwards so just need to be absorbent. Must be able to get it from a composites store. But cheap options all good. I also get heeesps of stuff from AliExpress cos it’s cheap :joy:

1 Like

Lmgtfy

1 Like

I go to Spotlight on Morehouse Avenue, 5 mins drive from home :wink:

1 Like

Felt that :joy: didn’t think i would have to spend more cash since this build was so damn close of being done till this bullshit happened lmao. But hey, Carbon fiber is sick. Recently wrapped a friends interior with vinyl for his car. Now i can do the real thing and make my board more cool looking, might be able to integrate my graphic back on there with the fiber as the background, would krylon be able to stick to it or no?

I like spotlight cos the old ducks check me out

1 Like

They’re only human… :wink:

1 Like

Hmm, costs consciousness and learning stuff yourself on DIY projects in your garage don’t seem to sit well together to me (I know).

It’s enjoyable tho

1 Like

All apart of learning. The way i see it is a second giving to improve what seems “perfect” gonna get the stuff tomorrow and start quickly. Desperate to take this thing on the road

1 Like