ESCs based on the VESC

is this a vesc?

2 Likes

Nop. RC… but as there is a short short list of ESC at the bottom end… i tough that it might goes in…

An option beside Castle Mamba XLX2

1 Like

This list of VESCs has always been grouped by shunt design, but now I’ve added that text under each section to make it clearer for those wondering about features like silent HFI that recommend phase shunts and phase filters.

Shunts are used to measure current flowing to the motor so the ESC can adjust the on/off time of the mosfets to deliver the correct amount of current requested by the remote.

Phase shunts are placed electrically between the high and low side mosfets, and the phase wires. These are typically found on VESC 6 and 75/300 based designs.

Low side shunts are placed between the low side of the mosfets the system ground. These are typically found on VESC 4, Unity, Stormcore, and 100/250 based designs.

Phase shunts provide a more accurate measuring of current flowing to the motor, but the design is limited by the available current sense amps on the market today. Generally these are used on designs under 70-80v.

Low side shunts can work on much higher voltage, but are less accurate in measuring current.

Phase filters can be added to any design. They allow you to measure the voltage while the VESC is driving the motor. Without filtering you would always measure either Vbus or 0V (since this is the output of the drive). The phase filters “average” this, which is actually the signal you want to measure. This helps more accurately measure motor resistance and the motor position especially at startup. To quote Vedder: “It is slow speed under load where phase filters make all the difference”

25 Likes

so is this done on a per-model or manufacturer basis? how can one know if one has phase filters?

perfect :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

i can rusk my escs and try out shfi properly now lol

1 Like

Vedder added a feature that will show the design in the HW spec after connection is established.
Shunt orientation and filters will be displayed. Next update will have it.

5 Likes

On the firmware tab of the VESC tool you can see if phase filters are enabled or not at the firmware level.

If they are disabled in the firmware, then the “Enable Phase Filters” setting does nothing.

The issue is that some hardware designs don’t include hardware phase filters, but they are running stock firmware (75_300_R2 or 100_250 for example) which has them enabled. This causes the motor detection results to be incorrect and the motor won’t spin properly.

Usually if the Hw: name (75_100_V2 in the screenshot above) on the firmware tab is named after the controller then it’s a good bet that it’s configured correctly for that hardware.

7 Likes

Yes. This also confirms the ESC manufacturer likely didn’t skip steps and try to be cheap and fast, but were more likely to be concerned with creating the best product they could.

3 Likes

Where does the neobox fit into this?
It was a focbox but a 3 shunt design

It looks like there may have been two versions of it. You can match the PCB up to these pics to find out which one you have.

3 Likes

Nice! Looks like i got the v6!
Is there any way to tell what filters/shunts it has?

1 Like

hey smart ppl

is there any real benefit to vesc 6 > vesc 4 besides being able to run higher amps?

working on a DD 12s build, likely not going to run more than 40-50 amps per side, and debating between something like the DV4 vs DV6/stormcore

for direct drives i’d go with the dv4. There are benefits, of which you’d see like none here.

2 Likes

i’m curious for future reference, any significant differences i should be aware of?

Thermal management is the big thing AFAIK. Higher erpm is also possible on v6. DV4 you might hit thermal throttling. Less likely to happen on v6 hardware.

2 Likes

Anecdotally v6 hardware has been smoother. HFI too

2 Likes

theres alot of benefits. dont buy vesc4 based escs.

3 Likes

You can buy Vesc6 based escs for so cheap nowadays that it isn’t even cost effective to go with vesc4 anymore. Vesc 6 is more reliable and just plain better in every way.

2 Likes

Think of it like software. Buying a copy of Windows XP or an old version of an antivirus is heavily discouraged.

Same with VESC. Older versions may be available and/or cheaper, but newer version are more stable, more reliable and the design is more tested.

Same [doesn’t] applies to FW as well

fw6.0 has entered the room

4 Likes