Enclosure Recommendations

I’d like to make a thread for prospecting builders who are having trouble at the enclosure step.

I think it’s ok to ask about DIY enclosure projects as well as trying to find the best off the shelf enclosure for your setup.

Pictures and measurements will help you well, get help.

5 Likes

@PatRocks

Psychotiller has a large lipo enclosure, nut sure if you’ve seen it.

:peanuts:

4 Likes

I made this thread on DIY fibreglass enclosure :+1:

5 Likes

I know you did, and I almost posted the following to your thread, realizing last minute that the links here might bring more attention to the efforts of yourself and others. Respectfully:

@glyphiks this was one of my favorite recent mold-making threads of all time! Unlike that jerk @mastercho from .builders, with his seemingly effortless success (and my envy, and hurt feelings from inadequacy). The shortcut I wanted to take was vacuum forming petg. I’ve decided that I’m going to try sucking hot plastic once more and calling it a complete success or throwing it directly into the ocean. If failed, gel coat is gonna piss me off even more shortly after.

But why continue with such frustrations? Because f*ck everyone’s efforts to save me either time and/or money :sunglasses:. I’d dickishly rather disregard, and waste my own t&m, eventually blaming god for my failure.

Here’s a link to my old thread at electric-skateboard.censors:

As PsychoChiller mentioned (like a dick, and then retracted like a swell freekin guy), why would “ANYONE” try to make their own? Because that’s what we do, based significantly on what he himself figured out how to do (btw @Psychotiller , I currently need a job)

Back on the HotTopic, be the @swissarmy guy and not the @PatRocks noob.

5 Likes

Do it hard brother. So others can learn from your mistakes :rofl:

Vac forming was the first method I researched, and realised that I couldn’t be fucked with the method. I wish you luck and look forward to tracking your progress if you choose to proceed :+1:

Also look forward to reading about your failures with carbon fibre in the morning :rofl: expensive mistakes are the hardest lessons learnt

3 Likes

What are the most popular methods of making enclosures? So far I’ve only heard of fiberglass enclosures on everything.

Fiberglass is the best imo. Fiberglass over metal panels are becoming a thing now so that’s the top line. Abs is lower price and quality and more prone to cracking. Not as easy to work with.

1 Like

Is this different from an eboosted enclosure? I thought his was just layers of fiberglass?

Enclosures are kinda getting phased out…we have decks like the Hummie, NEO, and rocket with integrated enclosures…and the big companies like eLofty and Torque Boards have CF decks with integrated enclosures

3 Likes

New kaly enclosures have a metal sheet fiberglassed over in the under mount segments. @DerelictRobot, it is fiberglass over the metal and not just cf right?

1 Like

For medium range boards, maybe.

No integrated enclosure would have held my 12s7p for the kaly…

They still need enclosures…

I don’t see normal decks getting phased out. The design is tested and the quality is consistent

4 Likes

My bad, the Hummie does need an enclosure…but the rest just have a top mounted lid, no formal enclosure

Was that hs11 DS enclosure from hyperion meant for you originally?

1 Like

Yeah what do you mean meant for me originally :thinking: I got it from eboosted thru Cory

Cory sent me the same photo you posted once of it on a DW2 deck I believe. Just making connections.

1 Like

Im not surprised

1 Like

The ones that don’t need an enclosure are painful to ride without pneumatics. Flex in the deck absorbs a lot of vibration and reduced shock transfer to your feet. Stiff deck suck at that.

3 Likes

The new enclosure from Kaly ( doesn’t have it on the site) is completely stamped aluminum construction. It’s thicc.

3 Likes

Anyone do boxes in natural fiber? Fiberglass seems overkill.

1 Like