E-Freeboard Freebord Open source Electric Caster

I can get you all of the fasteners for $5 total + shipping. Happy to do it, I have one of thee I just got in and can see that it will need work soon.

2 Likes

Lol I was going to ask you for help on where to buy that stuff. The shoulder bolts were tough to find, china only makes 8mm ones in 100mm and I needed 110mm at least.
If you can find me 120mm long ones I could fit 6374 :yum:

1 Like

I will check with supply next week when I get back to work, Im pretty sure i can come up with some options.

1 Like

Interested in that stress testing… Hope they share it.

Yes i would like an extra deck for my wall.
for my wall yes.

1 Like

This is the main dimension I need. Guessing it’s like 105mm

Close enoguh

3 Likes

Haha I actually just found someone with the same idea!

Center electric caster on a freeboard

Leiftech/summerboard version too:

8 Likes

Oh it asked him and it is a custom slip ring and not taken from a leiftech

Looks very nice ? You sure you wanna go with the spring ?
If yes you should count more than 105mm unloaded for it to be close to freebord’s dimensions once on it

2 Likes

@Balta_6

Hopefully you can see what I’m thinking here with the bolt holes. The spring loops have an ID of .5" so they will fit nicely in the spacers on the bolts.

1 Like

In my endless quest to fit larger motors and make the original motors looks silly.
Full on 6374

waiting on an answer from @mmaner about shoulder bolts, if he knows of 8mm ones longer than 110mm preferably not in far away lands. I also was thinking about whether shoulder screws are necessary and if I could get away with normal unthreaded bolt. Really just don’t know how important it is.

2 Likes

I am having a difficult time sourcing them. Ive checked all of my go to vendors and didnt find anything reasonable. I am waiting to hear back from the buying agent at work. It may take a few days, unfortunately.

1 Like

lol no worries about getting this project moving anytime too soon. Would love to just start 3D printing scale models, but my buddys printer sucks and is broken.

Luckily he just started talking about getting a new one so that is exciting.

1 Like

I just hit him up again, hopefully he finds something. The only thing Ive found is from McMaster-Carr and they are pricey AF.

1 Like

right, the 110mm one is pretty much good.

running 608 bearings on this should be fine right?

1 Like

Oh yeah, as long as the bearings are good. Some 10mm bearings are actually 9.75mm ID, so watch out for that situation.

1 Like

hmm ok time to improve the design greatly.

1 Like

This is where I’m at right now. Fits basically any motor using some different spacers and bolts like up to 63100 lol.

Need to make the pulley wider to fit a 12-15mm belt.

2 Likes

Your progress makes me proud/horny.
Keep up mate.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see the end of it
You have access to a machinist shop ?
I’m wondering that replicating the caster of leiftech is not that hard, it’s 3 copper circles and 9 or 12 (can’t remember) brush that glides on the copper circles
With 3d printing and some copper plate I bet it’s not that hard to make

To replace the brush you could use copper braid to maintain a good contact

1 Like

Yes I have been putting some good thought into copying the leiftech slip ring, which itself isn’t anything special just normal industrial design. If I can get someone to identify the material used for the brushes (some kind of springy conductive metal with some other kind of metal soldered on the end I think might be silver) I think it would be possible to make one.

Hopefully I can get good information about how that person made their slip ring, and also get testing videos of that new one!