E-Freeboard Freebord Open source Electric Caster

not sure I posted these pics here

what a funky caster design.
Also it seems the “Grippaldi” person who was behind this Gravitis brand Freeboard has some wikipedia beef with Steen Strand and some regular freeboard patent trouble, don’t we all.

interesting read if you like a good ol ip fight over something they all love.

1 Like

What other names did they consider for the Freebord

Why is there no ‘a’ in Freebord

What is Steen doing now?

^update to that question he works as the hardware design lead a Snap inc (Snapchat)
So he designed those glasses that let you film and post snapchats and stuff. Cool!

Starting about 1 min in Steel talks about some of the first prototypes

This is good research content

1 Like

I just had a dumb idea, you could design a powered caster with wires coming up into a special universal joint hidden in the board. Then you have a hall sensor on your caster’s rotation and also a motor on your battery/ESC assembly. So any movement by the caster is matched by the motor rotating the battery/ESC assembly to match so the wires stay straight. Would need two independent ones for each caster.

1 Like

I put the V2, SBX bearing block and the new school and old school baseplate hole patterns all on there. Because I can.

To make that part work in a SBX you would need to either cut the outside to some special shape I don’t have the dimensions for yet to fit the stock plastic housing, or print a housing with this square shape. You would be able to put it on a V1/2 and Freebord deck without mods tho.

1 Like

BEEP BEEP BEEP Curved wheels/hub motors alert!!!

BEEEP BEEEEEP

3 Likes

push fit caster mounting with o ring, no cutting of the bearing only friction there.
He agreed that a design with a ball locking pin would be ideal although far more complex.

haha does not allow a Cam but this would be a special kind of board, possible that you have electric and non electric casters you swap or different heights/wheels or something.

1 Like

I guess I could battle harden the JMK ride wheels. Make like a push fit pulley maybe metal/ lots of screws then epoxy everything. Hmm it would let less heat out but prevent any flex… not sure.

SBX wheels it is then… oh yeah I can cast my own too maybe get cheap enough to make it worth it.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

@SpeedDemon credits for visual 5-X model.

2 Likes

making custom bases that fit 5-X hangers and also custom 5-X compatible hangers is what I am thinking about. Also some from scratch suspension hanger designs.

1 Like

lmfao it is today I realized Caster is not a Castor. idek, research and dev has been done in an unprofessional manner.

I previously was thinking about non electrical slip rings like hydraulic and such, as they would be more dirt and vibration resistant. A cool idea would be using water so you can make a crappy leaky diy slip ring and that is fine you just refill after a while. You could try to do the same with pneumatic to avoid a wet system, to be clear it would be going through a geared turbine not one way although that would be a good simple test of a hydraulic motor drive.

the pneumatic turbine drive would sound like riding a turbo Freeboard, sick.

Speaking of sending power one way I have a fun idea to make a gravity caster with a EDF slapped on it. Or possibly the EDF could be mounted above the caster and the thrust is ducted down and out the caster pointed right. Huh I guess then you need an airbag/caster in the middle too for the maximum idea.

https://www.dryftboard.com/
https://www.instagram.com/standupdrifting/

Questionable if a motor on that back caster would make it any more fun or what.

2 Likes

@hummieee how would you rate buying your wheels from Aend Industries?

Insanely slow and more. But if they have them already poured maybe not a problem.

2 Likes

Good day
Im new here, but I have been following this group for over a year now all the while trying to build a diy summerboard. May I ask why did you guys move away from a centre mount drive wheel, was there any specific down side? And by downside, I mean design, but also mainly in ride ability and performance.

Regards Jon

1 Like

Okay, so no reply, I did hope that someone could offer some advise, but it seems its not going to happen, any hoo, maybe I’ll try another forum or blog or something, maybe there is someone out there that is interested in what Im tryjng to do😚

3 Likes