E-Freeboard Freebord Open source Electric Caster

Did you back this Quinn?
Being the guru in this stuff, what’s your opinion on it? Interested in these (snowboarding background) but never ridden them. Not common here.

2 Likes

I am waiting because I want to see if I could buy it without the battery and ESCs…

It is pretty much just a hub motor Summerboard with more standard electric skateboard electronics.

2 Likes

First assembly looks good. I will tweak a few things here and there but the idea seems okay.but I have no idea hiw strong it is.
Next print will be petg if it works okay.
Tje global height might be an issue though

3 Likes

Can I see your anti-sprin solution for the hub motor?

Hey more caster height = more rocker so go for it.

might need some tb110 to match though lmao

1 Like

@Battery_Mooch premade spring contacts aren’t such a bad idea although I have ordered the BeCu sheet to mess around I went back and found these:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/itt-cannon-llc/120220-0161/2403785

Have it here now actually

1 Like

Is about 1.1mm of movement enough?

1 Like

I think so, the travel of the spring in a pancake slip ring just accounts for the compression to get good contact and allow for any slop in the construction.

I really like how these will bottom out to prevent deformation.
One issue I see with the way the leiftech and SBX slip rings are assembled is you can easily press on the ring outside and therefore on the brushes underneath it

There is definitely some travel going on with the leiftech brushes. When I spin them in my hand while cleaning the grease I can feel it being slightly elliptical. This could offer some advantages for reliability I think. Right now I use about 1.2mm of compression, set at 4.2mm and the space is about 3mm.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/amphenol-icc-fci/10104321-009RLF/4238783

This one would fit for trying to recreate a V2 brush setup with these premade spring contacts.

1 Like

As of now a 3d-printed cube is my anti spin for the motor.

1 Like

how long did this part last?

1 Like

Long enough to get a video I hope…

Hey Quinn

I wanted to come back and correct myself today, turns out the SB does have some sort of hall sensor for detecting if the board is sliding. I never noticed this before.

Both sides have it but the circuit board is only populated with a JST on one side. I’m wondering what the ESC does when it detects the board is sliding, must be some sort of traction control yet I haven’t sensed any TC on the board at all. When I used to ride the leif you could sense the TC kicking in on slides.

1 Like

I Knew it was on there from seeing the wiring in the motherboard changing video.

Here is info from Aaron:

1 Like

huh why is it like double the price from the MFG… weird

12 wire at 10A each is interesting, it is the same 30mm diameter that I am using now but 74mm long vs 45, could still fit!

IP51 . Protected from limited dust ingress. Protected from condensation.
You know looking at this drawing makes me realize I could just use a 10x22x6 bearing to weather seal this!! Not sure if there is a bearing for the 15mm on the larger slip ring rotor.

Yep something like this thrown on there

I think I should design a special E-caster to fit this puppy

https://www.senring.com/mercury-slip-ring/

1 Like

best part
Great vids, I need to make some videos!

Hey guys i just did this for my axle. I think it’s going to be okay. I hope to be able to tinker a bit in those next few days.

2 Likes

I think you would need a further anti-spin plate for that square profile into the 3d printed pivot hanger.

For a cheap solution you could drill and put a bolt through it then press that into the hanger.

@alexincorsica
Love the work and I really hope you can get the capsule slip ring you went with to fail (in a good way!) then you can try tearing it down to see exactly what is inside and the size of the brushes, I have not seen it anywhere. If you don’t I will eventually.

Slip rings… I see the 74mm long 12 wire is pretty massive.

I put the modular wide centers module and leiftech slip ring on this 30mm id tube module. haha looks funny but it does give me the idea that when I work on the 22mm capsule slip ring based caster module, running it hybrid with the leif slip ring would be interesting and much more reasonable. Even just using the dead cheapest ones for temp and hall data or possibly with the *30A 3 wire ones I linked there in parallel with the phases of the leif slip ring for **rEliabiLiTy could be cool.

-*chinese performance value I never have seen tested.

-**doubling failure points may not actually increase reliability.

^leif slipring alone on this large bearing module meant to have suspension

oh yeah the reason I put the wide center module on there is because I put the standard 25mm spaced m4 holes on the same part the mounts the current designed suspension caster to the 30mm id tube used for the large capsule slip ring.

hmm looks like it would need some… stuff. Yeah (maybe a tiny wheel)

This is what I am more thinking about this moment.

The idea being it would be a non-suspension height adjustable center module with the modular caster w/ high powertrain I am making for the leif. I could mess around with finely adjusting the height of this center caster to see how it feels. I could put more holes in the side plates but can just adjust the space between the bearings in this case.

Ideally what I am moving towards in my head is a suspension caster system that uses the same m4 bolts to mount as the non suspension modular standard one. Then it would be possible to either use this suspension caster in a center or dual suspension caster/FULLSUSPENSION board with the 5-X. Shit or three+ who do I have a care about. That’s enough.

Putting these images in here

1 Like

hmm I guess I will be making my modular hanger parts with onto this caster base.

I sure hope Freebord sell parts properly. PLS

oh forgot to say but one of the other main things I would want to add if I had additional electrical connections into a caster is to add some really sick lights. I have thought before about designing a shredlights mount for a caster module. I for sure will have to try that out with the modular caster, the printed motor guard is ideal to integrate the light mount with

Alex you were right it is a spherical press fit