E-Freeboard Freebord Open source Electric Caster

huh why is it like double the price from the MFG… weird

12 wire at 10A each is interesting, it is the same 30mm diameter that I am using now but 74mm long vs 45, could still fit!

IP51 . Protected from limited dust ingress. Protected from condensation.
You know looking at this drawing makes me realize I could just use a 10x22x6 bearing to weather seal this!! Not sure if there is a bearing for the 15mm on the larger slip ring rotor.

Yep something like this thrown on there

I think I should design a special E-caster to fit this puppy

https://www.senring.com/mercury-slip-ring/

1 Like

best part
Great vids, I need to make some videos!

Hey guys i just did this for my axle. I think it’s going to be okay. I hope to be able to tinker a bit in those next few days.

2 Likes

I think you would need a further anti-spin plate for that square profile into the 3d printed pivot hanger.

For a cheap solution you could drill and put a bolt through it then press that into the hanger.

@alexincorsica
Love the work and I really hope you can get the capsule slip ring you went with to fail (in a good way!) then you can try tearing it down to see exactly what is inside and the size of the brushes, I have not seen it anywhere. If you don’t I will eventually.

Slip rings… I see the 74mm long 12 wire is pretty massive.

I put the modular wide centers module and leiftech slip ring on this 30mm id tube module. haha looks funny but it does give me the idea that when I work on the 22mm capsule slip ring based caster module, running it hybrid with the leif slip ring would be interesting and much more reasonable. Even just using the dead cheapest ones for temp and hall data or possibly with the *30A 3 wire ones I linked there in parallel with the phases of the leif slip ring for **rEliabiLiTy could be cool.

-*chinese performance value I never have seen tested.

-**doubling failure points may not actually increase reliability.

^leif slipring alone on this large bearing module meant to have suspension

oh yeah the reason I put the wide center module on there is because I put the standard 25mm spaced m4 holes on the same part the mounts the current designed suspension caster to the 30mm id tube used for the large capsule slip ring.

hmm looks like it would need some… stuff. Yeah (maybe a tiny wheel)

This is what I am more thinking about this moment.

The idea being it would be a non-suspension height adjustable center module with the modular caster w/ high powertrain I am making for the leif. I could mess around with finely adjusting the height of this center caster to see how it feels. I could put more holes in the side plates but can just adjust the space between the bearings in this case.

Ideally what I am moving towards in my head is a suspension caster system that uses the same m4 bolts to mount as the non suspension modular standard one. Then it would be possible to either use this suspension caster in a center or dual suspension caster/FULLSUSPENSION board with the 5-X. Shit or three+ who do I have a care about. That’s enough.

Putting these images in here

1 Like

hmm I guess I will be making my modular hanger parts with onto this caster base.

I sure hope Freebord sell parts properly. PLS

oh forgot to say but one of the other main things I would want to add if I had additional electrical connections into a caster is to add some really sick lights. I have thought before about designing a shredlights mount for a caster module. I for sure will have to try that out with the modular caster, the printed motor guard is ideal to integrate the light mount with

Alex you were right it is a spherical press fit

reward for the long wait??

found more pics

BEEEP BEEEEP BEEEEP
CENTER CENTER WHEEL ALERT

WEEEE WOOO WEEE WOOO WEEE WOOOO

I have some special ideas for a center powered caster for a hovercraft board, 4 wheels on a rocker suspension, with battery and all built into the massive space available.

Not sure how I missed that 5th wheel before, guess from the videos pushing in a skatepark that it was not motor propelled.

not sure I posted these pics here

what a funky caster design.
Also it seems the “Grippaldi” person who was behind this Gravitis brand Freeboard has some wikipedia beef with Steen Strand and some regular freeboard patent trouble, don’t we all.

interesting read if you like a good ol ip fight over something they all love.

1 Like

What other names did they consider for the Freebord

Why is there no ‘a’ in Freebord

What is Steen doing now?

^update to that question he works as the hardware design lead a Snap inc (Snapchat)
So he designed those glasses that let you film and post snapchats and stuff. Cool!

Starting about 1 min in Steel talks about some of the first prototypes

This is good research content

1 Like

I just had a dumb idea, you could design a powered caster with wires coming up into a special universal joint hidden in the board. Then you have a hall sensor on your caster’s rotation and also a motor on your battery/ESC assembly. So any movement by the caster is matched by the motor rotating the battery/ESC assembly to match so the wires stay straight. Would need two independent ones for each caster.

1 Like

I put the V2, SBX bearing block and the new school and old school baseplate hole patterns all on there. Because I can.

To make that part work in a SBX you would need to either cut the outside to some special shape I don’t have the dimensions for yet to fit the stock plastic housing, or print a housing with this square shape. You would be able to put it on a V1/2 and Freebord deck without mods tho.

1 Like

BEEP BEEP BEEP Curved wheels/hub motors alert!!!

BEEEP BEEEEEP

3 Likes

push fit caster mounting with o ring, no cutting of the bearing only friction there.
He agreed that a design with a ball locking pin would be ideal although far more complex.

haha does not allow a Cam but this would be a special kind of board, possible that you have electric and non electric casters you swap or different heights/wheels or something.

1 Like

I guess I could battle harden the JMK ride wheels. Make like a push fit pulley maybe metal/ lots of screws then epoxy everything. Hmm it would let less heat out but prevent any flex… not sure.

SBX wheels it is then… oh yeah I can cast my own too maybe get cheap enough to make it worth it.

1 Like