E-Freeboard Freebord Open source Electric Caster

This print having the holes lined up with the brush locations gave me an idea that you could 3D print the brush holder to prototype a diy slip ring instead of PCB making. The brushes being glued into the printed base and connected with wires.

This idea allowed by figuring out the right material for said slip ring brushes.

Wonder if anyone learning to CNC could make me some simple copper rings
:sunglasses:

want

subtitles work

Me and the person who had made the v2 case files I had found were both trying to get the deck shape exactly and we agreed that the deck was not symmetrical, one edge having a steeper concave.

50mm motors give this suspension a load more travel

close up, suspension still open for new ideas but mostly springs maybe compressed gas

1 Like

Oh mate! You got me, after seen all work you have done, I think I know what’s gonna be my next project :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Saw this, thought maybe useful for your spring problem.

1 Like

oh funny about that idea ,I was going to post yesterday but I forgot.
I had been thinking for a final concept to be a custom composite deck that would act as a spring for the center module.

1 Like

So the spring issue would be solved by the flex of the deck itself?

1 Like

no the deck would remain stiff from end to end but there would be a bit sticking out the middle bottom that would compress.

the more I talk about it the more I only see it as being practical as a separate bolted on mechanism to a more traditional deck but never really know until you make the idea come true.

Not sure how to implement it, but air suspension comes to mind, maybe an air tire tube sandwiched between the castor mount and the deck. It would have adjustable pressure and you could use a spring to have retention of the mount to the deck.

1 Like

the current easiest thing to do is use a bunch of extension springs on the lower bolt the the printed part at the bottom of the tube so that is the plan.

A custom air suspension sounds sick, oh what do you think about this idea:

small motor controls the suspension so it can be lifted at will.

Something like a worm drive could raise and lowere the entire unit from above

1 Like

I would want backdrivability for the suspension aspect, a fairly good reduction and an encoder would be needed possibly but a low reduction and only simple direction and amp limits could work either. Something I would really have to test.

I would use something like a drone motor for this I think, I wonder what a good ESC solution would be… dual VESC I guess haha.

oh it could be a brushed motor

for the gearbox I think just a large printed spur gear slice would work

cheaper, possibly better option

for any fans of the clevers the tread looks the same.

nice drawing

For the version with a suspension E-caster in the middle a single axle hub could be good for a single sided fork kinda idea.

this one looks nice, and 5.5in in an interesting near AT wheel size

This seems like the one I want

this one is too cute i had to post

interesting, this would really be perfect for this design and so compact it would fit under a freebord no problem

2 Likes

useful!
1 Like

(AMZN LINK OF SAME)
if I could find a model or a drawing for this 125mm/20mm stroke double air shock I would try to fit it in. Says infinitely adjustable so I could tune it to nearly nothing I guess

somewhere tf in there
Ah 100mm! 8mm throw tho
I think it is still likely that I could get away with some high end RC grade shocks but I am not looking at them too much yet, especially if I swapped the springs out then I could test some cheap ones first.

And this is all a distraction because regular old springs are an adequate solution for sure.

1 Like