E-Freeboard Freebord Open source Electric Caster

Dude you are really going to town! Wow

Been on a freeboard once and it scared the shit out of me, but was not on a steep enough hill to get the “break free” point of the caster spring to feel consistent.
Coming from a life of snowboarding, catching an edge on pavement is no bueno.
Good luck man, pretty impressive so far!

You get your printer yet?
Your cad skills :drooling_face:

1 Like

yes printing printing yes, I need to order this tube:

that will (UPDATE… NOT)fit the 6007 bearings Actual 35mm od tube needed.

I’m going to cut the bearings I got out of the shit castings that were too big anyways, then I will have to design my own bearing seat.

Still need to figure out how to get suspension fit somewhere, also an endstop. I figure I can print a model to get an idea of how much force is needed. Excited to try the prototype not sure what issues I will have, besides ruining this poor wind turbine slip ring. Not sure if vibration or contaminants will get it first.

Lastly I have not uploaded this project yet so I should do that.

2 Likes

I want to start on another one using a gear drive already because I know that’s where I’m headed.

1 Like

Could the streetside idler pulley/bar move closer to the motor? Then attach springs from there to the lazysusan/bearing plate?

1 Like

That has been my idea for a while. Kinda a diagonal spring that attaches to the yellow block, I am super tempted to try 4 RC shocks to see how well it would work.

damn I have not looked at ones this nice actually…

Shocks are the same idea just wheel side attachment to the yellow block/idler bolt.

1 Like

Conserving vertical space is important so switching to the non extended race/set screw locking bearing for the design allows more room for suspension, I am working on an updated version now for the regular roller bearing I linked.

For this prototype I might flip them in so it’s like two giant built in spacer bearings.

1 Like

Love the product description of those shocks! :crazy_face:
They look nice though.

1 Like

using a shock body is pretty unnecessary and weight must be conserved, simple spring it is.

Oh actually I wonder if elastic would be worth the weight savings over a spring.

ok look it’s so cute tho
1 Like

This could save a lot of space the diameter of a spring(s) will take up, if you find the right material/format.

1 Like

Springs are better for long term use and for people to find to build their own, but maybe elastic could work good enough for me, heck maybe I could even use skateboard bushings.

1 Like

I’d try and fit springs and save the elastic type material in the back pocket.
The bushing idea is interesting. I assume you’re trying to make up for uneven ground which would cause loss of traction(as well as impact absorption ). In which case you need to see how much travel you’ll need to make up for that.
Gotta crash, good luck, I’ll be keeping and eye on it

1 Like

yep spot on, as well as going manuals/press tricks!

1 Like

:laughing: yes!

1 Like

Last thought b4 bed. Have you thought about a flat style spring(found in hinges I think) running from the baseplate to the mount by the drive wheel?

Would probably be limited to the non-pullied side of the wheel though.

1 Like

yeah I was considering those way early on.

I know where there are some extras of these I could try.
1 Like

Shit, guess another back pocket item.
It could come to a point where a couple spring designs would need to be used together to achieve the desired pressure/strength.

1 Like

Very impressive build. The knowledge here is mind blowing.

1 Like

I saw Tio post this on the SB FB group
https://configurator360.autodesk.com/585367846551394214/x36mkhntt9j9?fbclid=IwAR1LlaFphrM1VZpheDP36eZnFlRnGBYBMUDIVrQ-tkM8phq3op0yBMy4fns

A 63mm motor is just not fitting under a freeboard deck with my current method of suspension travel.

I’ll move to that 5065 I got for this prototype

1 Like

tempting, Anyone have some sitting around lol?