Dreamonseed - 18s Abomination

following on, Ive got a chance to finish one side tmoz and then I’ll be out of UV glue for a few weeks until I can gather reinforcements which is just enough time to do a few other things.

After laying it down yesterday I was a little horrified to notice that some peeled away from the edges a little, just where it got thin but was enough to make it look horrible… planed ahead for this I did… out with the sander, I was hoping to make a kind of diffuser and…

There are a couple of imperfect spots that will require a touch up but at this point I’m very happy with it generally, I feel that there isn’t enough ‘meat’ in it and might still de-laminate and make a mess of everything but here is how it stacks up

which basically equals this now which is where the idea started.

The plan is to get the LED’s embedded and sand it back until I have the 3 edges exposed and then lay a layer of fiberglass over the top and wrap down over the edge light to finish at eh base layer of carbon fiber / fiberglass so that the whole thing is then encased as a single unit, stiffen the board, complete waterproofing of the hump and generally hopefully make i strong enough to withstand the coming storm haha…
I still have no idea if this project will work or not but I’m having an immense amount of fun with it and learning all sorts of things that Ive never done before… ridiculous amount of fun, im not sure which part of the hobby I enjoy more, the tinker and learning or the payoff with riding

7 Likes

Are you a 3d printer? Wonder if you could 3d print the positive shape of the leds, wrap with sand paper, and have a sanding jig that could help finish it cleanly. Bulk with be a power tool I imagine.

Naa, no 3dp skills here, some old school moddling but not this kinda stuff… itll be sweet when its all sanded back and wrapped, wont even know its there if its not lit

no real wikki or anything on different glass weaves and uses? the enclosure building thread comes up for anything else… not really the right place so I’ll make the question specific.

there’s a final layer of glass to go over this as mentioned ^^^ and Ive been looking at this 8 Harness Satin FG Cloth (301gsm). I’m going to need something forgiving as I have no skill and this sounds like the right sort of thing. Is there something better to use that will still give decent strength but be easy to shape over the nose? I’ll do a little practicing on my experiment deck… poor thing looks a bit like Buster from Myth Busters now haha… and failing that giving me results I’m ok with, I could do it in 2 hits couldn’t I? lay a strip along the edge, trim and sand and then lay the deck, trim sand, finish off and apply frit… trying to make an attack plan with a contingency.