Down bad AF 4 reviews of big daddy Hoyt 5" hubs/tires & testing of 5" tires on other hubs

Well… if the MBS plastic hubs are any indication, then no :joy:

But you could probably get close enough (better than mbs plastic) with default tolerances. Any shop with a 3 axis cnc can hit +/- 0.005" (+/- 0.127mm) tolerances all day. You’d want better than than for a proper tight clearance fit (22mm seat día -0 +0.021mm tolerance for H7 fit), but that costs money. It all comes down to budget. I was only suggesting ways to decrease cost.

5 Likes

Neither of these manufacturing processes are going to lower your price enough to make a dent. CNC time is CNC time no matter the material.

In fact, the cost of raw 6061 aluminum is probably on par or cheaper than the nice plastic you’d need for this.

3D printed reinforced plastic is your best bet

2 Likes

If you could find threaded pins of the right size, off the shelf, you don’t need precision machining for the kegel pins.

Edit: if it’s not obvious by now, i do this exact kinda stuff (design, drafting, DFMA, quoting, and sourcing) all day. Happy to help if more in depth assistance is needed. We need more hubs on the market

7 Likes

They will be precision machined. :wink:
@Ancient lives near me.

5 Likes

This is a sweet design!

Couldn’t help but think through this a bit. If you’d take some constructive feedback -

you may look to adding a locating feature to match the two sides together. Fasteners will work in a pinch, but they are not ideal for this - they clamp, they don’t locate well. Especially since fasteners themselves are not precision parts - its not ideal to put them in precision holes.

MBS and Trampa both have this sort of locating feature on some of their hubs. An extrusion on one side, matching a recess on the other:

One other thing, @Savage1 can def speak to this better than i can, but you may increase the height of the left part (w/ bearing seat) to match the sidewall height to the top of the bearing seat. And decrease the same amount from the right part. This would mean your overall raw material size is a bit less. Same end result, just moves your ‘parting line’ over. Maybe save a few dollars

10 Likes

:eyes: :eyes:

1 Like

I did that with a hub I made for @Venom121212 and his go cart.

7 Likes

Yes, you’re absolutely right, @sleepless and I know better. I was just being lazy. I’ll add some proper shear features before I send the final STEP files to @Savage1

5 Likes

CAD for the fam > CAD for the man

10 Likes

Moved parting line closer to center. Added shear features. Opened up Kegel pin holes from 5.6mm to 5.7mm since metal cores can be a pain.

6 Likes

Looking good!

Minor, but I would swap the ‘shear feature’ positive to the bearing seat side, negative to the other part. Bc this requires slightly less raw material.

Can we see the opposites sides?

1 Like

Yep - here are the back sides. I thought about switching the projection for the shear features, but either way you still end up with one part needing to be cut from 1" thick plate and the other from 1.25" thick plate.

Sorry, but, a little silly honestly, for many reasons.

After seeing some of the posts here, I will start a thread about machining parts.
I was thinking about doing this awhile ago after seeing other similar posts, but I haven’t had the time, or wanted to make the time. But I guess it might be time to maybe help my friends in this community

4 Likes

Machining aluminum, 6061 or 7075, any shop worth dealing with can hit +/-.001" (.025mm) tolerances all day, without the prices going up substantially. When a tolerance of +/- .0005" (.012mm) is required, the price will go up.

3 Likes

Thank you, I really need this as I’m currently practicing learning CAD and have access to a CNC, I’ll be using your forthcoming thread extensively on my learning journey.

1 Like

@Savage1 thank younfor confirming this, the more i thought about it, the more n more it seemed like a pipe dream. I mean, my friend didnt seem daunted at all that wed be able to get something goin for me. But as soon an i realized the demand and my own constraints an limitations, i knew id overspoken for myseld and there was no real viable potential for anything id said.

I am overwhelmed with joy though, that youve taken this on! I personally xannot wait to own a set of your tkps, they look immaculate! And with you workig on these hubs, im positive youre the one who can really maximally fix the hole in our hearts for needing an alternate option.

Absolutely true. Mainly, i was talking about the absolute lowest cost online shops with instant quote engines. These places (for the most part) farm the jobs out to a whole network of 3rd party machinists and can’t/don’t always guarantee tight tols without fees.

For example, Hubs.com overseas option is about an budget as you can get (unless you have a friend):

22mm bearing seat would have a ±0.1mm tol default, which is usable but not ideal.

2 Likes

@nsteph, I don’t know that I’ve totally taken this on yet, lol. I don’t know your age, or path in life, but I wish you the best.

The InfinityHubs were $250 not 1k. And the CNC that I have is not capable of making esk8 wheels, I had to pay to get these made.

7 Likes

I guess i misinterpret things a lot, that would explain a lot of my confusion most of the other timetoo. And then assumptions, well, yeah, that also explains some stuff going on with me. appreciate the sentiments here though, thanks man :man: @Savage
Guess i misunderstood that you and anvient were going to git er dun then i nievely n hopefully thought that because you machine sick shit youd be bringing em to market.
I was on my shit, clearly.

2 Likes