Custom Enclosure : pressing wet plys with epoxy (question)

Yeah but doesn’t have that mitred corner bro…

1 Like

Nope, but there must be a hole in each corner

I don’t see the compound corners, like Ross said, it appears as a simple cover

Holes in corners.

2 Likes

I have been thinking something like this is a great approach for a diy.

Removable enclosure as a cover with no holes or plugs etc.

All cables and switches etc made through moulded risers on the base of the deck, that the enclosure is moulded around and sealed onto. Waterproof and fixed to deck. All batteries etc fixed to deck.

3 Likes

My next board will be similar… we’re on a wavelength here… It won’t even be an enclosure but a dust cover secured with a few 1/4 turn appliances… no BMS, no on/off button… nuttin…

everything fastened to the board… you could drive it without the enclosure… the enclosure is a dust cover and a skid plate…

2 Likes

So maybe, going the hoyt way, then filling the holes with FG to prevent whater from getting in there

1 Like

Anti spark button on one and charge plug on other side. Running lights on front two?

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

The challenges come in when you add concave at the same time. You’ll have different bends intersecting and the curves get more difficult for the wood veneer.

Maple gets soft but also expands when wet. If you let it dry you’ll get a shrunken down and warped version.

Best thing is to use a vacuum setup. Wet the boards and put some towels in the bag to absorb the moisture. As they dry the towel will absorb the water and the vac bag will keep the veneer in the right shape as it dries.

Titebond is water based glue and is more flexible than epoxy. Additionally, it will soften the layup and will help with those bends

My layup is two panels epoxy and two panels with titebond.

Each glue type has its pros and cons. You don’t need fiberglass on every layer. And if you want something flexible you’ll need to experiment

3 Likes

No, urethane rubber if there’s gonna be cables coming through

3 Likes

That’s a pretty neat advice, thank you

There’s a whole thread about deck making as well.

Start simple and build up to complex curves. There are limits to what you can do with just vacuum. You’ll need some clamps

2 Likes

@DavidF
Good article just linked.

“ Water based glues actually soften the maple veneer. If you want radical bends I recommend always using water-based glue instead of epoxy. A trick I have learned for making extreme bends is to lightly wet the outside layers of your veneer stack before placing it into the vacuum bag. This will soften the outer layers and help to prevent the wood from breaking.”

2 Likes

Have you ever used veneer softener? I believe maybe @longhairedboy has talked about it before?

1 Like

Nope, read about it. Ordered a load of veneers so doing some research. Hoping Dave makes some mistakes on my behalf and writes about them so I can learn the easy way.

4 Likes

Collective learning is the best. Especially when someone else makes the mistakes first :joy:

4 Likes

I can’t seem to find this were I live unfortunately

1 Like

Bro, that looks amazing, such an F1-style board

1 Like

Thanks dude, for more goodies head to this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like