Custom Enclosure : pressing wet plys with epoxy (question)

Hello
I’m in the process of building one of my designs and I have a very sharp corner to make with my plys.
I tried to form a small piece of ply by soaking it in hot water and it works.
I wanted to shape the plys like this, then glue them but it appears the ply came back to its original shape after it dried.

So my question is: could I soak the plys and put my epoxy, fiberglass and all inside my vacuum press?
[FOR AN ENCLOSURE]

2 Likes

Water and epoxy are not friends.

You would need to thoroughly dry the shaped ply while it was still being pressed. And then do your layup

5 Likes

Wooden deck - epoxy not titebond 3?

2 Likes

Yeah for this I need fiberglass so no tidebond

2 Likes

The thing is my test sample, even if 90% dried, did not keep its shape entirely, so I’m afraid the wood will break if I press it afterwards

1 Like

wood has it’s limits
think about your design

4 Likes

I was watching an episode of How It’s Made and I think they steamed their wood for like half a day until it was warm and pliable. Applied glue between each ply. Then they clamped it to it’s desired shape or vac formed it for like a couple days until it was dry dry. Then they applied the finishes or epoxy

2 Likes

Believe me I thought about it
The part I’m trying to make is for an enclosure
So not risking anything
This wood will have to com-ply

3 Likes

I thinks gluing wet, let dry and then fiberglass could indeed be the solution :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I’m how thick is the veneer you’re using?
You can get veneer softener, understand your spray on, clamp while drying to assist flatness or shape or whatever you need.

1 Like

1,6mm
I can’t seem to find veneer softener in France

1 Like

how long did you leave it in your press when moisturized?
one ply? two plies? Three dry plies?
you can always see if you can leaving in the press super long with multiple veneer plys and while it’s drying think about how you can clamp it… make sure it’s super dry clamp it
and then quickly lay up your board and press it again

you may even have to wet press it multiple times to dry and then bond the veneers and repress it

good luck

4 Likes

titebond all the way man :sunglasses:

also @ZachTetra might have some input. He’s the wood man

3 Likes

1 ply small piece, it dried for an hour or two but it’s like 40°c over here

What’s the layup order?
Why not glue and vacuum clamp laminate just the plies with pva glue first (slightly damp veneers probably ok then???). then on your completed shaped part, do a wet layup with epoxy and glass???
Like @kook suggested - multiple stages

4 Likes

Haha I wish I was a wood man, I am trying to learn the same things as this guy

But Titebond III is the ‘good stuff’ as far as I am aware…just don’t let it turn chunky :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

small pieces with compound curves are muy
difícil…

1 Like

Small piece was just to test the forming process, I will have to get the same result with 2 full 100*30 plys

1 Like

How was that formed? Clamp or vacuum bag into a buck? If one laminate works, would two? The glue between layers will help it hold shape after cured…

2 Likes

I have some with my roarockit
But will it handle wet?

3 Likes