Custom Enclosure : pressing wet plys with epoxy (question)

so now you’re calling us all estUUpid… I’ll accept that

Just missed a part, you’re all human, I suppose :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes… I have doubts about that kind of stuff tho.

I mean if you shape each layers independently and then glue them together, there is a chance they will be a bit twisted and I don’t know that it would go away after pressing.

everyone missed it

So I will wet the 2 plys, put some tidebond and clamp with a wooden frame
Then let dry a looong time
Then FG with epoxy, vaccuum pressed
Thanks everybodyyyy

2 Likes

Steam heated press with thermally activated epoxy exists but that takes this way out of the DIY garage build…

I think @DavidF should look good and hard at his draft angles… but It’s for an enclosure… I say he goes for a test piece on multiple plys… press them out wet, let them dry, and then a second press laminating them wet again if he chooses…

4 Likes

You just jumped to conclusion, because a deck was more obvious
I should have been more explicit in the first post
This has been corrected

2 Likes
1 Like

add enclosure to the title

1 Like

Can’t we use you for several persons?
I was not talking about you, kook , but you “the ones that missed it”

2 Likes

the title should say:

Custom Enclosure

not
CUSTOM DECK

and yes… you can mean multiples… you helped the miscommunication…

but fuk english… let’s get back to making k00l shit

1 Like

Ok guys, I replaced the Deck in the title by enclosure
This sure was misleading
Back to science

3 Likes

What’s gonna hold the side and back layers at the mitred corner together??
I think that at the inside end of that cut, the veneer is not gonna want to bend in 2 directions and could crack or just look shit.

Doable but prolly very hard.

I’d try and be less ambitious at that corner joint and design a different solution for that joint.

Maybe it’s better to do this as a FG enclosure with a thinner timber veneer skin, for aesthetics only? (I can imagine how that would work, comparatively easily)

eggzakery… the first clue was when the wood refused to hold shape after pressing

look seriously at draft angles or not… and then think of that gnar seam at each corner

Hint
These guys know their shit and they didn’t try this

5 Likes

Wood mastic, then FB+epoxy top and bottom

the hoyt has a pretty gnar-gnar curve on the front of that enclosure… I’d like to see a pik of that transition… I doubt it was “formed” it was probably another piece, probably solid, that was later bonded on…

good catch Ross!

1 Like

Yeah it’s a bend!
But in one direction and a big relief cut at the corner so no composite bending stresses.
Not sure I like the enclosure shape (front and back) but side curves of it look good

2 Likes

I like the sides, and the back… but would need to see the front bend to see if I like that solution…

2 Likes

Pretty close from my stuff, the front and back bends are really long to prevent the wood from cracking

1 Like