Custom Enclosure : pressing wet plys with epoxy (question)

Have you ever used veneer softener? I believe maybe @longhairedboy has talked about it before?

1 Like

Nope, read about it. Ordered a load of veneers so doing some research. Hoping Dave makes some mistakes on my behalf and writes about them so I can learn the easy way.

4 Likes

Collective learning is the best. Especially when someone else makes the mistakes first :joy:

4 Likes

I can’t seem to find this were I live unfortunately

1 Like

Bro, that looks amazing, such an F1-style board

1 Like

Thanks dude, for more goodies head to this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Getting closer :scream:
From left to right : 8 plys uncut deck, mould, to-be-clamped frame

2 Likes

Super Soft 2 advanced veneer softener. I have some hard angles on the bottom of my decks and they will crack on occasion in the press without it

4 Likes

this is so cool to see. Reminds me of the contraption i made before i paid a guy for a mold. Except this looks like it might work way better!

3 Likes

Thanks à lot!
Test forming one plys
It might work :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

oh you’re going to vac bag it! that’s better than a press for one offs for sure. Can’t wait to see the results.

1 Like

This is so ambitious :joy: i fucking love it

3 Likes

Yeah I’m trying with vac bag but It’s really hard to place theplys correctly when it’s inside
it seems to work well though
I build the wooden frame in case I need clamping but honestly this freaking Roarockit bag is a beast :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Yeah, honestly my kids and wife keep asking me why the fuck I’m so invested in this :rofl:

4 Likes

Could you drill registration holes in the plies and tie them together somehow?

1 Like

The plys will have the exact same shape so pretty easy to place one on the other but the problem is more how to precisely place the plys on the deck+mould

1 Like

You could use the same idea. Just have registration pins on the mould with corresponding holes in the veneers

Hopefully you have left yourself enough space on the flanges to do these points in segments that will be trimmed off later… or just do them in the middle and they will get glassed over anyway :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I have two of their rulers. they’re also beastly lol

2 Likes

Tried with needles but was not psychologically ready for drilling holes :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah, they look good, 40 euros though :skull_and_crossbones: