Could use a bit of help, hope this is the right place.

Looks like the board I have is a copy of the 8ball bigfoot, the remote in the manual is the one on that site and looks nothing like the one I have lol. Though I also have twin motors which is nice.

Oh for sure, I don’t expect these motors to last forever, especially if I go 12s lol. Just like the idea of spreading out the wallet bleed lol.

1 Like

id stay away from the 4.xx ESC exspecaly flip sky ones plenty of better options out there look at the BKB xinith. all depends on your budget but it can be a bit of a rabit hole as many pre built use custom mounting options to stop you upgrading with other company parts.

1 Like

Now that I know I should be able to keep my motors I can spend more on the esc, as far as mounting goes I have 2 big empty boxes after I rip everything out, plus a 3D printer lol.

2 Likes

Try to post some pics as you get started!

1 Like

I was gonna say pretty much the same as @MysticalDork , I don’t think there’s a big downside to running a VESC in DC brushed mode. There miiight technically be a limitation with concentrating the heat on 2 phases worth of MOSFETs instead of using 3 phases but I really think it’s negligible, especially given the lower power motors. Plus was gonna also say this:

I’m personally in favour of lipos for value for money at the moment, they don’t seem to be as hard hit by the shortages as cylindrical cells. I’m running a 10S2P 18650 pack at the moment because I got a really good deal, but I’ve ordered some lipos to replace it.

+1 on this as well, if you can find a makerx in stock. If not, there’s apparently some info or guidelines around on using FS ESCs safely (basically ignoring their stated current ratings and going lower) but like you said, if you’re saving on motors it would be nicer to get a BKB Xenith or makerx or something and only have to buy once to be set for quite a while.

Haven’t used a puck but if you’re looking for cheap and still safe reliable options there’s the Flipsky VX1 and the generic RC Mini Remote, covered here How to bind the Mini Remote [Serious]

1 Like

Will do! I assume there is a spot for build threads here somewhere, until then this is the current state of the board due to Esc issues and checking parts compatibility.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Same here. I started out many years ago with a Maverix Cruiser. Look at me now, I’m a freaking builder for Lacroix Boards :love_you_gesture::rofl::love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

That’s nothing man, I work for APEX. :astonished:

5 Likes

Are the 4.x good for lower power stuff? I seen the makerx dual 4 has an attractive price (especially compared to the 6 or the O.O.S. BKB.) If I keep it at 10s (like I really should as This board handles like a school bus so its not a peak power/speed build, My verreal AT will be better at that when it gets here) My peak amp draw should be around 45amps, continuous should be 30ish. Which even for the less robust 4 seems well within limits. And with the heat sink on the sk8 I could prolly keep temps under control pretty easy if that was rhe issue.
Sorry if this sounds like I’m bucking your help, its not ment to just trying to find the ideal balance of what I need vs what I can reasonably afford (I could just get a baja board but my savings are already wagging their finger lol.) I really appreciate everyones knowledge they are imparting.

1 Like

Yes but you listed a 70A motor with a flipsky 4.xx esc that’s only good for 25-35A. the quality control makes the flips ones hit or miss if you get one good enough to not blow up.

Maker X are in different Leag with the xinith both are technically VESC 4 but have huge improvements in the design and components.

I’ve never owned a maker x so can’t compare them. But I wouldn’t bother with any VESC that 4.12 as there old tech and so manny better choices out there

Max draw limits and heat sinks are not the only difrence. Chip quality, power regulation Sampaling even pcb layout. all add up 1 esc can feel tight and responsive another can feel like a bus.

1 Like

Ya, thats why I asked again now that I know I can keep my current motors (didn’t make that clear though, my bad) which are 36v 800w each (if the labels are to be believed, the board it appears to be based on is 36v 600w each)

Ah, ok, most of my experience with type stuff (which isn’t a ton) like this is with RC cars where the biggest issue is heat. Figured heat was stressing the components and killing them.

Is a 200$ goal not really feasible? I was hoping for around the price of the makerx 4 but sounds like makerx 6 is gonna be closer to the damage (160 vs 260 USD)

You can hit that goal, but compromises are inevitable. Good, fast, cheap. Pick any two.

The 4.x are generally decent at around 20-30 battery amps per side, and maybe 45-50 motor amps max. Any more than that and their failure rate is less than stellar.

2 Likes

Exactly, @Clownrock95 my first All terrain ride was made in a nearby factory. It had a decent lithium polymer battery (15ah, 2016) But it was heavy (50-60lbs, one motor). I dropped down to 40ish lbs with second hand evolve trucks and light, magnesium wheel hubs, smaller tires (8 inch) and it was a new board. Still one wheel drive.

The motor controller (the guts you will replace to make it faster and adjustable) were pretty ok for me. I still have that pistol remote and the aluminum heat sink.

Point is, weight reduction (lead acid to lithium, trucks, wheels) might make your day…and I’m usually the first one to suggest “why not 4wd”.

2 Likes

Looks like you got the 8Ball version, same board but I have 2 motors. I had plans to go lipo but now my esc took a crap and the replacment is being a pain in the arse (at least it was only 45$ shipped), so I’m switching upgrading that first. Mine is 70 somthing lbs, 30 of which is batteries.

1 Like

batteryhookup.com I’m tellin ya

1 Like

Just looking for cheap but reliable, speed isn’t a big deal cause anything over 15ish is speed wobbles of death. Hence why I’m eyeing the 4 I should be well within suggested limits and don’t mind less than smooth throttle and the like, I’m used to it now and my finger isn’t the smoothest either. Just worried about magic pixie smoke.

3 Likes

10 of these suckers best $600 esk8 battery ever

you actually got room for them too lamo

4.3kwh

2 Likes