Could use a bit of help, hope this is the right place.

Yes but you listed a 70A motor with a flipsky 4.xx esc that’s only good for 25-35A. the quality control makes the flips ones hit or miss if you get one good enough to not blow up.

Maker X are in different Leag with the xinith both are technically VESC 4 but have huge improvements in the design and components.

I’ve never owned a maker x so can’t compare them. But I wouldn’t bother with any VESC that 4.12 as there old tech and so manny better choices out there

Max draw limits and heat sinks are not the only difrence. Chip quality, power regulation Sampaling even pcb layout. all add up 1 esc can feel tight and responsive another can feel like a bus.

1 Like

Ya, thats why I asked again now that I know I can keep my current motors (didn’t make that clear though, my bad) which are 36v 800w each (if the labels are to be believed, the board it appears to be based on is 36v 600w each)

Ah, ok, most of my experience with type stuff (which isn’t a ton) like this is with RC cars where the biggest issue is heat. Figured heat was stressing the components and killing them.

Is a 200$ goal not really feasible? I was hoping for around the price of the makerx 4 but sounds like makerx 6 is gonna be closer to the damage (160 vs 260 USD)

You can hit that goal, but compromises are inevitable. Good, fast, cheap. Pick any two.

The 4.x are generally decent at around 20-30 battery amps per side, and maybe 45-50 motor amps max. Any more than that and their failure rate is less than stellar.

2 Likes

Exactly, @Clownrock95 my first All terrain ride was made in a nearby factory. It had a decent lithium polymer battery (15ah, 2016) But it was heavy (50-60lbs, one motor). I dropped down to 40ish lbs with second hand evolve trucks and light, magnesium wheel hubs, smaller tires (8 inch) and it was a new board. Still one wheel drive.

The motor controller (the guts you will replace to make it faster and adjustable) were pretty ok for me. I still have that pistol remote and the aluminum heat sink.

Point is, weight reduction (lead acid to lithium, trucks, wheels) might make your day…and I’m usually the first one to suggest “why not 4wd”.

2 Likes

Looks like you got the 8Ball version, same board but I have 2 motors. I had plans to go lipo but now my esc took a crap and the replacment is being a pain in the arse (at least it was only 45$ shipped), so I’m switching upgrading that first. Mine is 70 somthing lbs, 30 of which is batteries.

1 Like

batteryhookup.com I’m tellin ya

1 Like

Just looking for cheap but reliable, speed isn’t a big deal cause anything over 15ish is speed wobbles of death. Hence why I’m eyeing the 4 I should be well within suggested limits and don’t mind less than smooth throttle and the like, I’m used to it now and my finger isn’t the smoothest either. Just worried about magic pixie smoke.

3 Likes

10 of these suckers best $600 esk8 battery ever

you actually got room for them too lamo

4.3kwh

2 Likes

I’ll keep it in mind, gotta get the wheels turning first. Right now the esc is not working (I like water but when you dump a battery box full though an uncoated esc things get angry, note to self add drain holes. Lol) and the replacment isn’t either.

1 Like

Learn from the wise Brain about the 419

I use a sponge on my leaky compartment

1 Like

Might wana see a doc about that lol.
I plan to do somthing to seal it better.

1 Like

butyl

1 Like

Was thinking that or custom o-ring/silicone gasket.

1 Like

yeah @glyphiks did a custom silicone gasket on a deck i forgot which.

2 Likes

Urethane not silicone. Its expensive, laborious, difficult to do well, but yeah, it does the job perfectly.

3 Likes

Heat plays a factor but I use 80A motor to accelerate hard then 6A motor to maintain top speed on a flat or 35A up a steep hill. Needing the big amps to get moving means it cools down between. This is very difrent to arc car that runs a mutch larger percentage of time.

The VESC has thermal throttling so if the esc or motors heat up over 80 c then it limits the max power same as a cpu in a PC. Stops you cooking things

2 Likes