Can run 2 Battery Packs with BMS in parallel

Looking for words of wisdom if this is going to be ok to do.

I am working on a little mountain board build and can’t drop the cash on a real battery for now.

So I want to use the 2 Meepo ER batteries I have in Parallel.

They are each 10S2P 40T Packs, with Charge/Discharge BMS. 30 amps maximum discharge.

I plan on connecting them in parallel going into a Focbox Unity.

All good?

1 Like

Yeah that’s good, just make sure they are the same voltage when you plug them into each other. I think you can wire the charge port in parallel but I’m not 100% sure

3 Likes

I was planning on keeping the charging ports separate on each battery.

1 Like

keep us posted. I’m not sure if charging them individually while the mains outputs are connected in parallel will have undesired effects.

2 Likes

Well… that makes me nervous… would it be best to connect the charging ports in parallel?

Didn’t @anorak234 do something like this with a bunch of old hoverboard batteries?

@Jacobee They were 10s2p packs Meepo-style with BMSs in each. I supplied charge current to each BMS through a massive parallel adapter so I could use one charger for everything. 10s12p and it worked quite well.

5 Likes

I did something like that time ago. I used to charge both packs individually. I never had problems at all.

1 Like

What about 2 packs in series?

I did that too. No problems.

1 Like

I mean if you charge them together, like 2 10s packs with 2 10s bmses charging at 20s voltage

I did this on my board. You can check out the process here ( Evolve GTX 2nd battery in parallel ). I have sense removed all evolve electronics and am running a unity.

1 Like

2 years ago I did the same thing with the crappy 10s2p samsung 22p batteries.

I definitely recommend wiring the charge port in parallel. The connector is a JST-RCY.

I have a similar setup with 2 meepo batteries and 5 one wheel style batteries for a 10s14p set up everything is connected in parralel and I use one of the meepo battery charge ports, the entire battery charges fine with a 5amp charger. Because everything is connected in parralel voltage remains the same in the entire circuit. Does not matter if you connect 2 or 3 or 5 ports in parallel. Everything will charge at the same rate. I guess one advantage would be less heating, but you should have any heating at 5 amps charge rate

3 Likes

jeez.
do I go a step further and throw my Crappy diyeboards battery in the mix.

Make it a 10S9P?

making it 3 packs, and one of them being different really fucks with my OCD…

http://www.diyeboard.com/10s5p-18650-lithium-battery-pack-36v-10ah-360wh-p-460.html

That’s kind of what my build is. I have my 5 one wheel style packs top mounted in a box and the 2 meepo packs bottom mounted underneath on my abortion of a board, but it’s got great power and super good range!

I may very well do that down the line. for simplicity and weight sake for now I am going to go ahead wiht the 2 10s2P packs hoping that the 10S4P 40T will give me at least 10 miles of riding. I have only been getting 13-14 miles with my set ups that I have with 10s6P 30Q and pneumatics , one Six Shooters and one with the TB 160s…

1 Like

Should be able to get 10 miles, my 12s4p with the same set up get around 15

1 Like

I would keep the packs the same for definite. Don’t use the diye pack at all.

1 Like

I would open those packs personally and bypass the bmses for charge only and parallel wire the packs to one charge port after u charge both packs to full charge. Im currently running a 10s4p 30q parallel set using the revel kit batteries since its performance was shit. Works great and now i have way more range using the same packs and less dead weight on my board now that its a diy and not a prebuilt bolt on with low amp discharge preset to my motors.