Blutstern - Rocket longboard, 10s6p, 4WD 58KV China Direct Drive

I reworked everything. I got rid of the velcro that held the battery packs, removed hte plastic cover from the xt150, resoldered to get the packs tighter together and glued it to the deck with some neutral cure silicone. I changed the cabling from 14awg to 10awg, added 80a fuses on power supply lines to each dual mini, used real connectors everywhere. I hope my stuttering problems are gone now, I’ll see tomorrow. I had a strange problem, one of the 0R resistors connecting both sides of the pcb over can was somehow damaged. It gave a 160 ohms reading. I fixed it by bridging with a small piece of wire :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What remote do you use? How do you pair it to your escs?

A Flipsky VX1 :slight_smile: Pairing as described in the manual :wink:

1 Like

I got some things on my mind about this hole thread i cannot hold back hahaha.
Mellow hubs run on 7s originally (yours on 10s) if im right and you changed the wheel diameter by doing a great job on the sleeves which reduces torque(the diameter not the volts)which you found out for yourself bc. have you expected much more torque from them.
Wouldn´t it be more secure and much more effective and efficient to use 7s(maybe 7s10p or something) specially for mellow hubs to be sure the motors can go forever and can deliver the power in the way they are designed for? I dont think that torque is a weak point on mellow hubs specially NOT in a 4wd configuration. They must be powerful as hell imo!
I know you prefer the landwheel hubs anyways and now switched over to DD, but seriously as far as i know runs moo stooge his raceboards on 6 or 7s as well :wink: without any lack of torque(ok hes not on hubs,but…)
Dont know where i read it but the lower voltage of the 7s is not an issue and should be able to deliver the same power by right config of your amps or something like this(dont tread me on that, i just want to learn much more :wink:)

1 Like

Which davega model is that? :smile:

2 Likes

The Motorola spinoff, its secret since they fear you’ll sue them :smiley: Its just for now, in the end I’ll put a e-ink in there.

2 Likes

You’re right I think. 7s doesn’t necessarily mean less power, only less speed. The guy I got the mellows from was actually a mellow insider and he told me they run well on 10s and can do 40A continuous, 80A for a short time. I was not lucky running them that way, I found out that I could go 28A max, more than that and it had strange behaviour (stuttering etc.). If you take the calculatory maximum wattage at 7s/40A and project it on 10s you get 28A so it seems like thats some kind of limit.
I have no idea what your definition of good torque is but I need to climb hills, the mellows were not able to :smiley: Of course the bigger sleeves made it worse than vanilla mellow sleeves :wink: If I ever get the chance to test drive an Onan I’ll tell you how my stuff compares to that :smiley:
I might build something at 7s in the future with the mellows. I would have taken them for the inYoFace thing but the hubs are sitting on a special hanger which is essential for them and sadly RKP.

1 Like

Do you have the VX1 hooked up via uart? To control both dual vescs?

No, I prefer PPM since I don’t need reverse (which is the only additional feature). Both dual minis are connected with CAN :slight_smile:

Could you post a pic of how you have the ppm hooked up? Do you connect both ppm cars in parralel and then to reciever?

I used two smaller silicone cables (26awg I think), thats all.

1 Like

Right that’s to connect the can. What I am confused about Is ppm cables that come out of each esc. Do you just use one of them? Or do you somehow have to use both of them?

No, you use only one of them, it doesn’t matter which one. In VESC Tool input setup you can just tell it to use a specific PPM port on any CAN client. (The chosen one will be the CAN master)

1 Like

Ok awesome! Thank you! So theoretically I could also use the vx1 in a 4wd set up via uart right?

I think so but never had an uart remote.

Thanx for your fast reply,Michael and the way you describe it seems that ive learned a bit in here so far hahahaha yeah! Which means run them on 7s is what they are designed for! No compromise to be sure everything is well engineeered! There will be no more cogging anymore and the torque will be more than enough up to the 40kmh limit which is enough imo.
I talking a bit into the blue here bc i never ever ridden a mellow so i can just tell about data. Mellow hubs are rated 1000 watts each the same as my Onan x2 motors. My Onan X2 4wd is literally eating any hill of any size and i live in a very hilly san fransico like little city. Them motors can take 20 amps max(i hope im right on that ahhahahaha) but run on 10s instead of 7s. Mellow can handle 40amps and less s could solve the torque problem hopefully forever. Again remeber your much bigger sleeves which could turn out as “ESELEI” like albert einstein once said about something stupid he did ahahhaaa… the good thing about it is : hinterher weiss man immer mehr.
Edit: and you could do a smaller sleeve by time so nothing bad happened :wink:

I’m aware that the big sleeves were a part of the problem, but the Landwheel hubs worked really good with them so those are obviously better torquewise :wink:

1 Like

landwheel are rated 1200 watts per motor.Thats why they can handle the size a bit better i think. Landwheel is still the most powerfull hubmotor(budget) on the market so far but not that easy to get in x4 version…and as far as i remember they run 7s, too. But def. different kv and wattage as on the mellow.

1 Like

They run 10s originally. The hubs are the same throughout the version history, only the ESC and the sleeves changed :wink:

2 Likes

ahh nice to know about the 10s landwheel. siehste: more wattage than mellow AND more S. thats why they got more power, but like i mentioned before. Torque on a 4wd config with mellow hubs will be more than enough for any hill up to 45%

1 Like