Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Try using more curse words

7 Likes

Try heating up the sleeve

1 Like

What is the sleeve part on trucks? Is it the black part or the chrome metal where the wheels fit?

Thanks for the advice both of you guys. The more swearing seems to have an effect!

He means heat the part you’re trying to get off I believe. Heat makes things expand, so heating it may loosen it enough that hammering could prove more effective.

2 Likes

Did you say one cell is at 0.3V while another is it 4.4V? If so, that pack is a bomb, FYI. Treat it like one.

Also, you were probably on “charge” mode and not “balance” mode. Always charge on balance mode.

That pack is almost certainly ruined, and it’s definitely dangerous if that’s the case.

1 Like

A big bearing puller. I used a 150mm one.
With the right tool it’s an easy 5 min job.

6 Likes

Thank you, I’ll get a clamp tomorrow I think. It hurts on the inside of me every time I hammer on it

1 Like

I read it as a 0.3v delta.

3 Likes

No, 5 cells were at 4.1v whilst the other was at 4.39v. that wasnt resting so likely ended up at 4.36v.

I discharged the pack to 24.7v so I could get my charger to balance all cells. It did that with no trouble. IR for the whole pack was 65m-ohm I charged it whilst watching the pack closely to 4.2v per cell with no issues.

The pack has no obvious signs of puffing and IR at full charge was 95m-ohm.

I’m thinking another ride to see how out of balance the cells get as a sign of any issues.

I had a dodgy solder joint break a few weeks ago so possible that the pack got damaged back then and that’s why I had such a variance when charging.

1 Like

I have a Hota D6+. Evidently the setup for it isn’t ideal. You can hit “balance” to any set voltage per cell or “charge” which automatically starts balancing when the total voltage reaches x%.
I must have not spotted the variance and put it in charge mode so by the time it got to x% of total target voltage it was already to high on the one cell for the charger to deal with (the error was a battery type one).

Learning the hard way home the charge function works

1 Like

Is it ok to use lithium grease on plastic gear drives? Multiple people use it, shouldn’t it be silicone grease so it won’t eat the plastic?

“Plastic” is a very general term. Different polymers have vastly different tolerances for different greases/oils/chemicals. I would recommend looking up a compatibility list to see what is (and is not) recommended.

4 Likes

Ex. PLA vs. POM

Two plastics that can look and feel very similar but have vastly different properties,

3 Likes

I think most of the plastic gear drives are POM (or acetal)

But check yours to be sure

4 Likes

Got a question for the experts… first time building with precision hangers (in this case fatboy 230s).

What are you using as spacers for the wheels? Bearing spacers? I put two on during mock-up (pointed to with screwdriver in pic). The remainder of the exposed axle length looks about right. But wanted ti see if people are using something else.

Thanks!

Cut pieces of 10mm ID aluminum tube, you can make whatever size you want.

I use bearing inner races (from old junk bearings, don’t discard those) and speedrings. With the 7mm and 0.8mm-ish sizes you can make almost anything you need.

1 Like

I’s very difficult to get the cut perfectly straight, I would NOT do this unless you have access to a lathe or tool which can ensure straightness.

1 Like

I assume you mean 8mm? But yea I get what you are saying!

How about a dremel and a steady hand?! Bahah.

But yea, what you suggested takes all the variances I would introduce by cutting them myself (and I have plenty of spacers!)

1 Like