Boardnamics M1-AT Drive | Helical Steel MTB/AT Gear Drive

That’s legit - I didn’t realize the @DEEIF kit was the M1-AT drives

1 Like

And, speaking as someone who has a set, they are fucking awesome!

12 Likes

can i get some more info on this magical tool? wanting to upgrade to apex airs and am not looking forward to switching truck adapters…

You won’t need it as the truck adapter on my hangers is a close clearance. They come off freely.

1 Like

glad to hear it… while you’re here, any thoughts on the apex jump drives? been wondering about the differences between your drives and theirs… the lightweight/clearance of the jump drives is appealing

1 Like
1 Like

Morning all! I wanted to share a few pictures of my process. Just to make sure I’m doing everything right.

I had to file my matrix a bit to fit the adapter. This is the result. I’m almost wondering if it’s too loose now?:

Secondly, I had a hard time squeezing the big gear all the way in (As shown in @ShutterShock video here This is the result. Does this look right?:

Lastly, I bought these drives second hand (never used). They have been sitting on a shelf for 6 months+. Is it a good idea to (re)apply lubricant to all the bearings?

Looks pretty good albeit a tiny bit loose on the hanger, not much to do about that now.

Dunno about the lubricant, I imagine they’re fine though

1 Like

I haven’t taken a very close look at them but from what I see, they’re good drives for their hangers/trampa. There are a couple small things I have wanted to change on my drives for quite some time now but cannot because of my large batch sizes. I also try to keep cross compatibility so I can keep people’s stuff somewhat replaceable if need be. Otherwise, they’re dead in the water if I am OOS on a 1 gen older part.

As for clearance, I’d say they’re competitive. Theirs are obviously thinner but mine are also quite small in size, especially in diameter. I squeezed every drop I could there.
Mine weigh in at around 1300g per set which again isn’t that heavy, but heavier.

I think for US people, my drives are still a competitive option, especially since they support trucks like MBS Matrix II, Lacroix Hypertrucks, and NKP 3 Links. For a British lad with Airs, however, I would definitely just get the jump drives.

16 Likes

for the bearing a good slam with a 40 pounds sledge hammer will do the trick!, hey don’t do that just kidding :rofl: :joy:
btw don’t forget to repaint the trucks

1 Like

@Boardnamics do you have any GT3 hubs in raw, like @UFOskada has above?

1 Like

No, those are just the prototypes. I have clear anodized sandblasted however.

2 Likes

@Boardnamics Thank you, good to know. I’m also looking at your gear drive for my matrix ii on lacroix deck.

Have you ever seen anyone set up the M1-AT forward mount on an MTB? Like, in front of rear trucks?

Understanding that the motors would be lower to the ground, is there any other obvious reason no one has done it?

There is no reason to? Is a good reason why no one has done it

You want clearance on an MTB and going forwards mounted is not how you get that lol

Also depending on which version of the AT you get, you might only have one angle to mount it at.

1 Like

There is no reason to? Is a good reason why no one has done it

The main reason is I like picking up my board from the front and not ever having the motors or GD’s hit the ground. Also, generally think boards with forward mount motors look good. .

You want clearance on an MTB and going forwards mounted is not how you get that lol

I’m not riding an MTB so I’m not worried about clearance. I ride a thane board with like 2cm motor clearance, and that works great for me. I don’t need 10cm of motor clearance for a street cruiser.

Also depending on which version of the AT you get, you might only have one angle to mount it at.

I’d be buying the version currently for sale. Does that one only mount at a specific angle? I had the impression from pics up thread that they could be mounted at different angles on mbs matrix ii.

Yes he updated the drives since I made my video, they have slightly different part revs

Well you did ask about a MTB to be fair, but on street, not sure, maybe someone has done it

1 Like

ah yeah, I see. Would be somewhat silly to do that on an MTB. To be specific it would be on a lacroix with 175’s SKPs

If you are running 200mm wheels, then the wheels are larger than the gear drives. There’s no situation (on flat ground) where you can hit your motors/drives.

Observe my shitty video skills:

20220714_172321_2

12 Likes

I was about to write the same. And nice video. Shows it clearly

1 Like

I’ll be running 175’s so it will be very close. Thanks for the video!

2 Likes