Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

keeping both motor spin within a ± % of rpm difference with one and other. so if u have one unload wheel, it won’t go full brrr

3 Likes

like when a belt breaks that motor will not go full blast but instead spin closer to the other motor

technically yes, but i have yet verify if that’s what it does irl

1 Like

The other day when my belt broke the board wouldn’t move with one belt until I put on traction control.

Amazon sent two belts but in separate shipment s so I have two different sizes on now lol

I haven’t played with it for a long time because it tried to kill me several times…

In my experience, traction control on vesc matches the speed of ALL of your motors to the motor that is moving the slowest…

This presents a rather significant issue while braking and one wheel locks up… then all your wheels lock up. Not as significant an issue on 2wd, but you know about it real quick on 4wd :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

This is wise. I’ve never had a full lockup on braking toss me and I always have traction control on except when I’m getting drifty shifty. Would be absolutely butthole puckering on 4wd with a full lock.

4 Likes

You don’t have time for your butthole to pucker :rofl: you just eat street :rofl:

4 Likes

Mental note. Check Traction Control is off on my 4wd board

5 Likes

How is that any fun? Sounds like a feature for sane boring people

Random fishtailing from one motor working better than the other is peak esk8 in my opinion so long as it doesn’t happen every time you put on full brakes. :ok_hand: chaos

Yes, that happened to my board for a while before I finally bothered to get the bad motor open to clean out all the rust. Lead to a few really sick slides I wish I had a recording off, and a bunch of more minor ones too

1 Like

I would hope that it had been fixed by now but I haven’t noticed anything in the vesc fw updates about it.

I actually submitted a request on the vesc github for it to be addressed, but i’m not sure it ever was.

2 Likes

I feel like having a wheel spin at no load and then all of a sudden contacting ground is exactly how gears are stripped and belts are broken. At least on my board with stiff bushings in the rear it’s really easy to lift a wheel in a low speed turn.

3 Likes

Yep, this was exactly the cause of my coming unstuck with the TC.

2 Likes

100% this. Only broken a gear when doing this or after a crash.

2 Likes

I was slowing down for a stop today and felt something weird and it looks like my motor can has slightly started to back off of the housing (? I don’t know what the area with the vents is called) I have taken apart motors before but when they usually snap into place quite violently so I don’t know how this is sitting like this just a millimeter or so off. I can’t push it back in by hand but I rode home and nothing felt weird even under high load, is this fine to stay like this or should I take apart the drivetrain and try to get this back to flush?

Seems like it might be missing shim/s between the circlip and bearing

If you are running a helical gear drive, it’s possible that axial loads have destroyed shims that may have once existed there.

3 Likes

It depends if the axle has pulled out of the can, or if the axle has pulled out of the motor. Depends what slipped.

1 Like

Related, but maybe or maybe not your issue. I’ve never personally seen this happen on that model of motor. But lots on other, older motors.

i’ve never seen a reacher motor can come off the shaft, but from what I have heard, if it does, it’s fucked.

I’ve seen numerous shims minced by helical drives, that’s just my best guess as to what happened

2 Likes

I had like 1000 miles on a set of belts haha. D&D is a-ok.

If anyone is popping these belts in a short time period, chances are you have sharp/destroyed pullies

2 Likes

This is how it starts…

4 Likes