Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

One of my 2 radium reacher motors is not showing sensors on detection. I’ve swapped it between the two ports on my stormcore 60d+ and nothing has changed. What’s the next troubleshooting step?

1 Like

Do motors need to be disconnected from the wheels while doing motor detection? Ie will the extra inertia and friction potentially mess things up?

I don’t know if it messes things up, but have always read you should do detection with nothing attached to the motor.

1 Like

It’s fine with and without stuff attached.

2 Likes

No.

It doesn’t matter at all, according to experiments I’ve done.

1 Like

Are they the batch 1 ones? I believe those were prone to sensor issues. @Tony_Stark

His are second most recent batch which have fairly good sensors.

@Cyanoacrylate did you say you swapped the motors around and still the same side of the stormcore is showing sensorless? I have seen people experience sensor detection issues on stormcore and the new D series makerx controllers. What firmware are you on?

1 Like

Yeah I did, Ill try it again tho. I’m using the build of vesc tool that you get directly from the vesc tool website. apparently it’s experimental or something. Initially I flashed the firmware to the default option vesc tool gave me. upon inspection it claimed it was v6.0, not sure what that meant. then i went to the archive tab if the firmware section and installed fw 5.03, which is what I’ve heard people say should work. Vesc tool really didn’t like that, and would become unresponsive for 5 seconds before disconnecting and then reconnecting to the controller whenever i interacted with some parts of the GUI until i flashed it back to whatever the “default” firmware is for this version of the tool. Iirc vesc tool also told me that the version of firmware i was using was outdated and was not compatible with that version of vesc tool

the odd part is i had this controller working with these motors a few weeks ago, so idk what changed. i think I did slightly strain the sensor cable while trying to access something in my enclosure, could that have damaged it?

1 Like

Hang on so the same side of the stormcore showed as sensorless, or the same motor (which would have been opposite side of the stormcore) was sensorless after you swapped the plugs around?

1 Like

im checking it again rn. I think i may have had an weird beta version or something of vesc tool, so lets see if getting the new one does anything.

1 Like

I had a very similar issue and it turned out I had the sensors plugged into the wrong side (not matching with the phase wires). Easier to do than you think if you are flipping the enclosure over to work on it. It always showed one working and the other not working and did some crazy stuff.

@Tony_Stark ok, so, I am for sure running fw 5.3 now and a version of vesc tool which supports it.

Results:

And if I switch sides:

so it seems like motor issue. guess I fucked up the sensor wire or smth.

@Tony_Stark how do I check the hall sensor jst connector for damage? What about where the square connects to the motor?

Hmmm thats not ideal. I doubt it will be the JST plug but you can check that all the pins are pushed up evenly. They should be since we have glue added to the back of the connector.

I’m setting up a 75V Ubox V2 with 16S at the moment and one motor wasn’t detecting. So I swapped the motors around and its actually the ubox that isn’t detecting. So I am going to copy the hall sensor values across after detecting both motors with the working side and hopefully it works.

If theres no damage to your JST plug, you can take the front cover of the motor off with the 4 screws (leave the circlip and can on), and check if the wires are damaged on the inside. You may have to put the motor in front of a heater for a while to help soften the loctite to break the screws free

1 Like

would this kind of damage be repairable?

1 Like

Urelated question:

can i connect directly to a stormcore 60d+ over Bluetooth with the vesc mobile app? I see I can connect to it and get some data logging through the stromcore app, so it seems like it has Bluetooth connectivity, but want to confirm it will work with vesc too also before I drop $4 for the ios app.

Vesc tool mobile is almost fully featured, and yes.

1 Like

That’s great news. Rn j just have a usb cable hanging out of my enclosure and on my last ride I forgot to secure it so it got dragged on the floor and I don’t want to open the enclosure to replace it. Thanks for the reply.

It’s great for viewing RT data live too