Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

VESC is free & open source software, so nothing is stopping you from adding that feature. :smirk:

1 Like

I just thought it was odd that of all the things to leave out that the VESC OS didn’t include an ODO. Not saying that the Ling-Yi ESC is better because I know first hand that it isn’t better :rofl: Only time the LY esc is better is for beginners since you have multiple speed and break settings but that is it. You can focus on getting used to the board and not have to worry about settings at all. That and you can get them for super cheap if it is used

As far as I’m aware, Hobbywing isn’t safe so I never messed with them even if they have since fixed their random cut outs that also applied full breaks before shutting themselves off. No idea if they also have an ODO.

I would need to also be able to get access to the remote’s software if I wanted to add it in though which isn’t always open source.

However, it does appear that the remote I have does have its own ODO where it stores the total distance on the remote itself. So looks like I have no need to try and add the feature myself currently. which is nice because it would be a pain in the ass to go through all the current code for the VESC to even be able to start adding in an ODO. Plus I’d possibly need to do the tedious work of changing the display output on a remote which depending on the existing software on it could take days or hours to do

2 Likes

Hi!

I have a Flipsky VX1 remote controller. I haven’t changed any of the settings for the remote in VESC tool. When I begin to press forward on the throttle ever so slightly, it will begin to go in reverse ever so slightly. When I then press it more forward, the motor will spin at top speed in the forward direction. After which I am able to slow it down by easing off the throttle. Why is it behaving like this? It seems very dangerous. If I were to stand on it and it were to spin at top speed from the get-go, I would fly off it.

1 Like

Not necessarily. If the feature was added to the ESC, it’s likely (but not guaranteed) that a lot of remote vendors would start using the data if it became available.

1 Like

These are for two different situations:
The cell rating one is for cylinderical cells (18650/21700 and the like), whereas the C rating method is for pouch-style LiPo cells.

There are a couple reasons for the different methods: First of all, cylindrical cells usually just give a current rating rather than a C rating (and LiPos are the opposite, they often only give a C rating), and second, LiPo manufacturers lie about their C rating, because bigger numbers sell more batteries. That’s why you take the advertised number and halve it.

4 Likes

I feel like quartering it might be better

3 Likes

That’s true, if the motor were to spin at top speed while you were on it, you would probably fall off.

But it won’t. See, when the motor is not under load (upside down on a bench), it takes almost no power to spin the motor up to full speed. So even if you’re only giving it 5% throttle for example, the motor will spin really fast.

As soon as you put some load on it (stand on the board), it takes way more power to spin the motor, so 5% throttle won’t make you go very fast at all.
Just try it, trust me. You can try sitting down on the board if that makes you feel safer.

3 Likes

Thanks! I will try this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@MysticalDork is right.

It’s like lightly pushing on a dumbbell with your fingertip, or lightly pushing on a feather with your fingertip. The push is the same. But in one case, the feather will quickly move away while the dumbbell might not move at all.

A board upside down on the bench behaves completely different to a board on the ground with a rider on top.

3 Likes

Do you have a link to your metr log, and also screenshots of your settings?

2 Likes

It works!! Finally. Although the board feels like it’s going to break in half. Feels like standing on a thin plywood plank :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Pretty Same ride

VSS : Oct 9, 2022 - metr.at | nUrtS
BLDC : Jan 7, 2022 - metr.at | EcZCB

Tell me if it works

Hey guys,
I have a fsesc dual 6.6 doing weird stuff after like 10 minutes of testing… not sure if I configured something that broke it or not…
It seems to loose CAN connection between the 2 sides (it refreshes the can devices then only the local device is detected) and gives me errors when trying to run the wizzards as a result… (either it only runs the wizzard on one of both, sometimes it runs but only one motor is spinning but still have a result for the other side, sometimes I get motor read config error and/or firmware is different on both sides)

I also do the FOC wizzard, motors run fine during the wizzard but afterwards one of the sides is like cogging, no matter which motor I plug in and it seems to not always be on the same side… Tried sensored and sensorless with the same results.

logs don’t seem to indicate any errors…

This is a common problem with FSESC6.6 in my experience, including the plus and mini variants.

Your ESC is a critical part of your hardware. Don’t skimp on it if you can afford it and get something known to be more reliable.

Try programming each side separately, run a different version i think 2.05 of vesc tool works for the flipsky in my experience, flash the software again, make sure connections are solid… ive had a few flipskys 6.6 dual and once its working ive had no problems.

1 Like

Yeah I regretted buying it afterwards… Should have went with another vesc… Lessons learned, they aren’t even that much cheaper than other solutions

@bearlyrecognized
Thanks a lot I’ll try that, I also didn’t have any problems during testing everything was smooth until I reconfigured it a few times

2 Likes

Also do you know were I can get this older version of vesc-tool? since Vedder doesn’t let you download older versions

2 Likes

How would a single 6355 190kv motor compare to dual 5056 motors (200kv)…would it be significantly less powerful, similar enough? Im about 70KG if that helps estimating any real world difference I might experience.
(i realise motors differ, but lets say Flipsky battle hardened line, for example)

Old_VESC_tool_versions

3 Likes

Unless you’re gearing for < 10mph I don’t think it will be satisfying. Even 2 6355s combined wouldnt be terribly powerful , so if you’re going for a single you probably want something bigger