Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

I personally just can recommend foc.

I used it on my old 4.12 vescs
Currently use it on my Neoboxes
And currently use it on my Unity without issues.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, should I be careful about something when setting it up?

I’d say just the usual settings you should look out for.

Make sure everything is within spec.

Duty cycle current limit start at 0.85ish

Double check your battery amps since the vesc tool resets them and puts it at 99A even IF you tell it to not reset settings.

If you are unsure, take a screenshot and post it.

Use the main foc wizard (with the pop up guide, not the Wizard with the red squares, marked in orange)

1 Like

Much appreciated!

Is there a forum thread on how to setup/make/attach a bike trailer to the back of an esk8? Also do you think my board would be powerful enough to carry another person ~ 200lbs? I have 2 BH FS6384 140kv motors, 5.2:1 BN AT GD, Ubox V2, 16S12P battery. I only go 30km/hr max. I feel like I barely push my board rn. Everything is always running cool and I tamed down the board with vesc tool to approx 30-50% of what it can do so I was hoping it would have the capacity to handle a bigger load.

2 Likes

paging @rafaelinmissouri

He has some of that in his journal

2 Likes

I fabricated a hitch attachment out of flat aluminum stock.

it is not pretty but it sure works.

I have it in between the truck and deck in place of the riser.

I have moved my 8 and 5 year old which I’d say are 90 lbs combined no issues.

I mean.
you feel it and it changes the ride but my board can handle it.

I go much slower so it it seems to be easy on the electronics.

I am wondering what kind of trailer you plan on using…

there are some pictures of the board here…

4 Likes

I know nothing about making stuff out of aluminum so I guess I’m out of luck for finding a way to attach a bike trailer.

How slow do you go?

I was hoping to find something like this but under $500. Probably not possible :slightly_frowning_face:

I found some good deals for double kids trailers for approx $200 with a max weight of 45kg. I’m hoping it can carry light adults ~ 60kg. I’m not so sure about that so I also ran into this for $120… looks like it can handle an adult :joy: what do you think? Could I mod this with a Dremel and make it nice to sit in?

3 Likes

What tools do you have access to? A hand drill, a hacksaw and a dremel or some files should get you pretty far in aluminum. Obviously more/better tools make things easier/faster, e.g. a drill press, a vise, and/or a set of taps, but they’re not required.

You obviously will have to rely on bolts to join things together if you don’t have a welder (Those low temperature “aluminum welding rods” from the usual scumbags are pretty terrible, I wouldn’t trust them).

Should be pretty easy to make some kind of “trailer hitch” thing from a piece of flat bar that you can sandwich between the deck and your rear truck, and sticks out the back with whatever kind of attachment mechanism the trailer wants.

You might need to bend or otherwise modify the trailer’s tongue to be low enough to attach to the board.

4 Likes

me neither dude.
I just literally used a hacksaw and hand drill.

nothing fancy.

I expect I keep it under 20mph when towing the kids.

and on the trailer I would have to say try to save up for a legit one, or a legit one that is used.

the shopping cart might roll fine… but I can’t see finding comfort in there unless you are Bam Margera…

8 Likes

First time running motor detection and config. This would be on a Xenith V2. There are several option for doing so including the BKB software. Looking for ease of use and not having to tweak a million settings to get stable, safe performance. Recommendations? Is the VESC tool’s most recent iteration more user friendly as I’ve heard?

Also, I believe the Xenith that I have in my hand comes with the 23.xx firmware installed. Should I flash to 5.3? My needs are simple- no telemetry, want stability and consistent, safe operation. TIA.

Yes, use 5.3 and the official VESC tool.

BKB said they are shipping new units with 5.3 loaded.

Setup can be complex, but it can also be really simple. Run motor wizard. Run input wizard and go for a ride. Tweak/increase motor amps as needed.

1 Like

Never forget to set your battery maximum current.

VESC defaults are not sane in this department.

2 Likes

Agreed, and just to add to that, pay attention to all settings in the wizards. It asks you for things like pulley sizes, battery voltages, battery amps, etc.

I saw someone post something online where they got a baseplate for a set of trucks and flipped it upside down and through-bolted it on top of their board (going through to the bottom of the board and bolting on to the existing board trucks). They swapped out the kingpin that was sticking up with something thinner that would fit through the hole on the trailer arm’s hole (that would normally connect to the part that mounts on a bike’s rear axle). Looked pretty simple and slick. If I can find the pictures again I’ll post them.

4 Likes

Yep I was picturing this earlier but I thought it was a @rafaelinmissouri early prototype.

Found it

10 Likes

lol.
funny to think how much my towing capability came up from right there!!!

2 Likes

Nice, I like that setup. Similar to the one I saw but even nicer and easier with off the shelf stuff (except for that mega riser pad). I should try doing something like this to tow my smallest son around in his bike trailer

2 Likes

Yep, I got another little one on the way so I’ll be paying attention.

4 Likes

Will 11” wide mob grip tape be wide enough to fully cover a lacroix jaws/naz/LS deck?