My Esk8s. A journal of sorts

I’m super impressed that you are back to riding already after a spill like that.

3 Likes

So let’s rebuild the rebuild…

Scraping the Lucid off was easy, it really did not stick…

Next up was top mounting…

I was super lazy about redoing the inserts, drilled them out… put some plastic bonder in there, and new holes just next to them…

And I had just gotten some Jessup grip tape in the mail to have around and decided to just slap it on there so i could ride this thing…

oh, funny thing, started off with the more grayish Blue Caguamas, and realized it would look better with some that were more black to match the grip tape…

so yeah,
here it is.

I have taken it out on a few excursions, and have been riding it in front of the house while watching the kids.

And I really love this thing. It is so divey and so surfy, and I get so low on my carves and it is just so different.
It is the only set up that does not feel super stiff after riding the Pint X.

So, stoked on how it rides and how it looks.
I do think I want to upgrade the battery maybe, from the 10s4P 30Q to maybe a 12s3P P42A,
Maybe, not sure.

3 Likes

nope. not riding today.
probably not this week.
oddly enough riding may not hurt.
standing and walking feel fine…
sitting is the real bummer…

4 Likes

oh you got the job! congrats!

1 Like

Yep. It is great to transition and leave the old stress behind and be in this limbo learning stage without a ton of new stress yet.
Pretty stoked.
Yesterday around 10 I needed a stretch and went and rode the Pint in front of the house for 15 minutes or so…

Ok.
Onto more exciting Esk8 updates.

The Gravel Flux/Tow truck is on the bench.

Getting new trucks, gears, and motors.

These are all really nice parts, and I am pumped.

I wonder how much the extra width changes the ride feel…

I got the deck decently cleaned up.

I had to take the whole thing apart due to my super clever and convenient extended wires set up…

slapping new tires on the back.

I totally love how the BN gears come together.
such neat parts.

I don’t have it wired up, need to make cable extensions, but here is how it is gonna look!!!

4 Likes

So my current goals are:

Finish up the Gravel Flux(this is close, could be today even)

Get back to work on the Flux battery(long ways to go)

Convince my wife to let me buy the OneWheel GT… ( super long ways to go)

2 Likes

Ahhh I need to practice that, looks like exactly the combination of useful and fun that I want. Did you learn on regular street skateboards or longboards? I’ve done a very basic bit of sliding on a longboard and it’s obviously a bit harder with more mass and bigger wheels, but I can never properly control the little popsicle boards

Dude, for me power slides was on 80s street decks, with fairly large, but hard wheels.
The neighborhood I grew up in, in Brazil, was super hilly, and we had some awesome hilss to bomb.

I probably learned power slides before ollies… I think.

And then it translated to regular popsicle decks and use to always be good at them.

before Esk8 I had never ridden a longboard.

Since I have some laying around now as analog I have pondered trying to slide them, but they are so different I don;t think i can do it.

but the posicle deck came back to me like riding a bike… I was surprised actually.

4 Likes

Ahhh cool, I think I’m gonna try and up my skills on a friend’s sliding longboard before I go buying more stuff but street boards do seem much better suited to it. I’ve had fun on some 65mm slide wheels, but more as a way of stopping than slowing down, not a lot of control or ability to keep the line going after

2 Likes

Oh dude, i feel your pain from here :people_hugging:

1 Like

Most working man together with @glyphiks
Insane how much energy you guys have :mechanical_arm:

2 Likes

Yeah but the difference is, i get paid. This man does it for the love :green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:

3 Likes

Its all about love, dude.
You were working like a mad man wirhout getting paid for years.
So theres that. :mechanical_arm:

2 Likes

The difference is I wear shoes…

Al = Australian for Hippie.

2 Likes

Lmao

2 Likes

I am smack dab at 72 hours from when I slammed on my ass…

This morning I decided to go to urgent care to get a x-ray just to double check.

And good news. no tail bone fracture!!!

Just a bruise… which still really really really hurts.

but I just gotta take the time to heal.

sitting on a heat pad sure feels nice…

7 Likes

I have had my tail bone hurt very much on a box of beer years ago.
Had 2 big german 20 bottle platic carrier boxes full of nice beer in my back whilst sorting them into the fridge on my front.
Once the upper part of rhe fridge was completely fulled up I took the next few bottles in a slight circular motion from behind me and as i turned around I wanted to go to some kind of frog position to reach the lower part of the fridge as i hit ON POINT THE TIP of my tail bone whilst going down in natural speed. BÄHM!
I couldnt sit for 1 year and the total heal up progress took more than 3 years.
Hopefully your better off sooner than that.

5 Likes

yeah dude.
my wife slipped on a set of wooden stairs and hurt her tail bone and it lingered for years…

This injury it is definitely rough.
still hard to get up and down today.

but I did go on a 9 mile ride on a mayden Voyage for the Gravel Flux.

I got it buttoned up so I had to get out there and give it a try.
and I am glad I did.

5 Likes

Here are a few pictures of me finalizing the Gravel Flux.

I didn’t have heat shrink over the battery before…

then I made phase wire extensions with MR60s
and extended the sensor wires just soldering.

then I moved on to securing the cables on the underside.

lots of gorilla tape and lots of butyl tape …
then on to the thin abs sheet cover.

with the bottom all done I move on to make my little rats next up top.

and we are all done!!!

20220430_124348

I am stoked on this set up now and am looking forward to towing the kids around.
I feel like the BN gears will give me even more confidence.
I had popped the chains a few too many times and felt a bit sketchy about them when towing.

5 Likes