Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Which kind of threaded inserts are preferred for installing enclosures?
1:

2:

Is this a reasonable epoxy to use for installation? Is one syringe enough for 20 inserts?

#2 but stainless, or be very careful installing the brass. No impact or drill

2 Likes

I 2nd this, skateboard decks are not soft wood. I learned the hard way.

1 Like

I don’t like using inserts at all but if I did, I’d use #2

That epoxy looks okay.

There is an entire thread somewhere on those inserts, if I recall.

1 Like

What method do you favor? Bolts going through the deck?

@glyphiks also recently wrote an article on how to use threaded inserts on the freesk8 forum:

3 Likes

They don’t call it rock maple because it’s smooth lol

1 Like

I keep telling myself I’ll try the expensive ones but the soft wood ones have worked flawlessly for me from day 1 of my esk8 career sooo

4 Likes

Absolutely!

Methods that are unlikely to fail later.

2 Likes

yup, makes a ton of sense. I’m not the biggest fan of flat head screws, but id imagine the inserts would be more likely to fail. I guess a benefit of that method is that nylock nuts could be used, lessening the dependence on threadlocker.

Me either

1 Like

Is there a place to look for battery retention/support methods? I have a big chungus double stack enclosure that I want to use with a single stack 18650 pack and can’t seem to find what people do other than general memory of foam and stuff. Do folks print endstops or anything? How does one attach stuff to the enclosure when it’s not just cramming adhesive foam into an already tight gap?

u pot the whole thing like china does
/s

plz don’t

2 Likes

Ngl the thought did occur to me. But I’m too indecisive for shit like that, can’t commit to locking it in permanently

2 Likes

I like to use 3M dual lock tape to attach the battery to either the deck (preferred) or enclosure. Aside from the obvious benefits of attaching the battery to the deck you can slide a metal ruler between the battery and deck to “unlock” the tape and remove the battery.

2 Likes

:eyes:

Cheers, and then just padding on the enclosure side is it? I was thinking of hook and loop to the enclosure so it wouldn’t have to bear the “hanging” or vertical component but I guess that’s not an issue if it’s suitably compressed on the enclosure side?

2 Likes

Hopefully people know to only do this with an insulated battery. Or at the very least video record the ordeal to show why they shouldn’t be diying esk8 :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

The dual lock does a pretty good job of keeping the battery in place. Just keep in mind the dual lock is stuck on the outside of the battery which (hopefully) is shrink wrap, meaning the shrink wrap is ultimately supporting the weight of a hanging battery, so a little foam between the battery and enclosure helps with weight distribution and vibration/rubbing.

1 Like

I also have commitment problems.

I’ve been lining the inside of the enclosure with adhesive eva foam and then gluing shit to that. And then also still foam packing.

I learned recently that the foam packing needs to be carefully considered tho… some parts get hot

4 Likes