Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Usually you should stiffen the back a bit more and leave the front slightly softer
Send your full setup and I can try to help advise

Leave the front loose. Tighten the back. Thats where the wobbles start.

1 Like

Wobbles are in your back truck, so you tightened the wrong one.

Also, when you ride, keep most of your weight on your front foot & loosen up your stance. If you start to wobble, let off the throttle (but DON’T brake) and often beginning to make wide, sweeping turns that change direction while still going mostly straight (called carving) can kill a wobble.

2 Likes

the back is finality truck with yellow damper (65A i think)

1 Like

“Speed wobble occurs when the rear of the board begins turning before the front of the board, the front truck will stay relatively straight while the back truck will turn back and forth violently resulting in a hefty amount of road rash.”
How To: Dealing with Speed Wobbles – Motion Boardshop.

At our speeds, its generally started by a bump steer.

2 Likes

by wobble i mean “wobbly”, no dangerous wobble, the one who kill you, just the front who wiggle

i allways put my wheight on the front but nothing change

2 Likes

Increase the hardness of the damper in the back truck and your issues should dissipate. How heavy are u?

Also, make sure your kingpins are as tight as possible. A jam nut wouldn’t hurt either

maybe i can try this

75kg, 90 with my safety gears, backpack with spare battery, tools and camelback

That could be a lot of things. Uneven tire pressure comes to mind. Could be as simple as a loose truck bolt. Youre using channels, yes? If so, uneven bushing tension. Maybe try harder bushings. Channels really do take steel ankles, also. Theyre snappy, but due to having one axis of motion, they are more prone to bump steering and jumping around. Thats why i dont like them.

1 Like

i have checked all my truck bolts, its fine
you’re right for the tire pressure : i hate ride on woody tires so i put the 4 at 1.2bar and its the perfect comfy for me

Yea, when i had a flat the first thing i noticed was that there was a serious wobble going on. One of my tires leaks just a little bit right now too and i can feel it coming on pretty easily. There are pros and cons to both high and low pressure; but its important that the two tires on each truck are rather even

1 Like

Question before I start purchasing my electronics for real: In order to set up a VESC, you literally just plug everything in (battery, motors) and then turn it on and connect it to your computer, right?

There’s nothing unsafe about plugging in the battery before doing any software stuff?

correct

2 Likes

Make sure + and - are correct

3 Likes

Generally after you’ve shortened/lengthened/changed connectors for every single part attaching to the esc :rofl:

7 Likes

Yeah I’m gonna have a good time with switching the DV6 to 4mm bullets rather than 5.5mm
Or I switch the motors idk

Easier to switch the motor bullets. DV6 comes with 11awg phase wires which would prob be a bit of a struggle to fit into 4mm bullets.

2 Likes

I want to add that the power loss ratio/efficiency to heat is practically way worse if you’re slower. Total power consumption is IV, heat loss is I^2R, so in this sense power defficiency is IR/V. If you’re running 60A at full 50V, w/ 70mOhm resistance, you are only losing 8% of power to heat(not great by very acceptable), but if you’re full load starting up 60A at 8V, you’re losing a whopping 53% of power to heat. Admittedly, the heat loss is directly proportional to the resistance, so if your motor is only 10mOhms, you will lose only 1.1% and 7% to heat respectively, but I am hard on accepting less than 80% efficiency. Perhaps this is also why you should push your board to speed instead of starting still.

1 Like

Can’t seem to find this anywhere. What is considered normal lifespan of esk8 bearing on urathane wheels given that board is driven in mostly dry weather with small puddles now and then. I’m trying to figure out how to get most money/lifespan out of consumables.

If i get 1000km out of a bearing i’m pretty happy

3 Likes