Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

the message says that your vesc firmware is outdated but still compatible. (since the latest is 5.3 and you have 5.2)

ignore that message, the tool is backwards compatible.

grafik

5.2 is your Vesc Firmware - HW: 60 is the hardware revision aka Vesc 6 based.

2 Likes

I have set up the motor 2 times now, first one made scary rumble noises (big hub motor) and they had different result parameters… second one had fewer parameters with “0” in them so i guess its more correct :thinking:
Im following this tutorial VESC® Tool 2020 Tutorial - How to Program Vesc for DIY Electric Skateboards - YouTube
And I have a few tabs missing or in other places :l
Now I tried the Detect page again and I cannot get the “Lq-Ld” green it only reads 0,00 µH
Any Idea how to get that Parameter correctly detected?

1 Like

Use this setup instead

Make sure you are selecting the correct size motor when doing the motor wizard.

If you want to to do it manually, click on the button circled in green

If it won’t detect, adjust the current value (up) circled in red and try again.

Also make sure your battery voltage cut-offs are correct. This is usually set automatically when you select the battery series count (12s for example).

1 Like

Thanks I am a bit scared to increase anything with current with this test setup as I saw it spike up to several hundred watts on the psu readout when doing this short, loud noisesweep :flushed:
I saw the motor move, everything seems to work so I will continue the real built and battery pack so I can do the setup of the whole system for real (with the real battery then)
The weirder thing right now is that I cannot get any of the remotes to bind to any of my receivers (i tested two of each as I thought one my have been doa) The manual just inclued the following page:

Another seller (some ali-seller) had additional pictures of the pinout/input and information about the channels (1-steering 2-throttle 3-empty 4-bind)
I connected the vesc 3-pin to channel 2 and it flashes slowly when turned on
with the binding loop in channel 4, the receiver starts flashing faster upon turning it on.
Now I have turned on the remote and pressed the bind button in multiple “tapping-patterns” and also held it pressed for 10 seconds and also tried ~60 seconds as nothing had happened :I
Anyone got an Idea what I have been doing wrong? Videos showed that it just connects after a few seconds of pressing the bind button… are my remotes maybe broken?

1 Like

I don’t think you told us yet what remote you are using.

If it’s the mini follow this

1 Like

I dont know how I overlooked that thread…
Now I searched through the thread if anyone had the problem of the remote not doing anything and for everyone it just… seems to work and trigger the motor right after binding?
The video in the thread also shows that. Do I need to set up anything in the vesctool first? The remote is bound and all lights are solid

Have you done the input setup?

2 Likes

I have tried (im using this exact video) but it gives me the message again to update my firmware:

1 Like

@Trampa how is this after years still not fixed??

@Diverse you can try to initiate the setup multiple times, sometimes it works. Otherwise do it like i we always do and use a real compatible vesc tool Version like i have linked in the PM.

5 Likes

YAY i got a readout! With an older version of that tool you sent me thx!

The motor also turns now when I pull/push the trigger on the remote :smiley: (also had to figure out how to set up forward/backward but it gets easier now with the right version where it just works)

1 Like

So now you used 3.00 as the vesc tool?

Don’t forgot to apply those throttle settings. For forward and reverse i can recommend smart reverse.

Forward throttle is normal but for reverse you only need to hold the brake and the board starts to slowly drive in reverse in a certain max speed (no accidental reverse full throttles)

2 Likes

Can anyone ballpark for me the approx wh/km consumption on pneumatics? I know there are lots of factors (body weight, ride style, terrain). Just hoping someone can ballpark it for me so lets assume a moderate ride style in a fairly flat terrain with a slightly (ahem) above avg weight rider… I have no experience with this type of wheel. TIA

1 Like

I average around 15Wh/km, and that’s with slightly hilly terrain, averaging 17mph, 45PSI tires, and 170lb rider. If I ease off the throttle and average around 12mph, that gets me closer to 13Wh/km.

1 Like

Thank you, Sir.

8 inch kendas, 165lb rider, around 35-40psi tires, wild rider (30+ most rides) on hills, I average between 35 and 45 wh/mile

If I chill ride (under 25) I can get closer to around 30 or even 25 wh/mile

2 Likes

average between 22 and 28 Wh/km

chill ride (under 40)

around 18.5 or even 15.5 Wh/km

4 Likes

Thank you metric bot

4 Likes

What is the screw size of these?
I don’t have my calipers at the moment.

I also had the pleasure of using the “Invert Motor direction function” which reversed the motors but didn’t reverse the speed settings.

So instead of having

Forward 50km/h
Reverse 7km/h

I had to do

Forward 7km/h
reverse 50km/h.

2 Likes