Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Ok so a couple of new things:

1. The BMS doesn’t shut off power unless you hit 160+/-20A for a few hundred milliseconds, or 250+/-30A for a few tens of milliseconds. Google the datasheet for more info. The only thing determining current is the VESC.
  2. Those ESCs (and the “upgraded” 4.20) are not 50A capable, that’s flipsky marketing nonsense. The received wisdom is 25A battery max, you can largely do what you want with motor current
  3. The 4.12s have this as a known issue that needs a hardware mod. This from flipsky
2 Likes

1 Like

Yeahhhh sorry I didn’t ask your specific ESC sooner, would have saved you some time but I got sucked in to what looked like an obvious problem of the current settings. The current stuff is IMO also still relevant but for future reference, giving as much detail as possible about what gear you’re using, what firmware, settings, etc you’re using will help. And searching for what you think is the problem like throttle + cutouts or motor + cutouts

I did search and look into it prior to posting, but I couldn’t find the exact thing that I am experiencing. I re-set up my motors using the motor setup wizard and it seems to be acting a bit better now, but couldn’t test it. I just changed the settings 100m from home and it seemed quite a bit better but still. Had to set up the motors with the belts attached though, not sure how much of a problem that is. I am not even sure if the thing you sent is the same thing, might be, not much details are provided regarding the nature of the issue.

1 Like

there’s the Unfancy remote, which is DIY, or the OSRR. both decent trigger remotes.

you could also try the maytech one but I’ve had cutout issues with that one.

1 Like
1 Like

Eeh, after the motor re-configuration, i lowered the battery current max to 38 i think and bumped the motor current max to 50. Currently, it seems like it is as smooth as butter. During initial acceleration the motors don’t even make a sound, they are like hub motors (which feels good, the previous generic ones i had would buzz even at 5km/h). I had the throttle to 100% for a few moments and it did feel like it was speeding up so it might actually be hitting 50km/h, but it needs further testing, I was without a helmet and with gym shorts so i didn’t feel like testing limits. Seems to work fine for now though, which is great, but also weird.

1 Like

Ayyyyy great! I’d encourage you to lower the battery current even more, 25A seems to be the most you can safely get away with on those things. You may not even notice the difference. I had one of those in my first ESK8 and it blew up within a week so I have a vendetta against them

Eeh, if it dies I die with it. Sounds like a win to me. I’ve had it for a year now and I do ride my board a fair bit, not every day but i’ve often used it for 20km commutes. I like to believe that i’ve pushed my vescs enough and they seem to be going strong still (knocks on wood). I even remember running motor current maxes at 60A each and 50A battery cont for a while, before I fully understood what I was doing, thankfully it was in a tinkering period so at some point I was like “wait, no, dont do this”. I guess i might just be lucky with my batch. If they die and i somehow survive, it would be an opportunity to upgrade soo

Whats a reasonable max erpm for a stormcore 60d+? Would 245kv motors (from radium) @12s for an unloaded max erpm of ~75k be pushing it too much?

OSRR is not a trigger remote… yet.

1 Like

Is it okay to stack a BMS and an ESC on top of each other?

As they’re not working simultaneously i suppose it’s no problem

Mainly worried about thermals (should i be about anything else?)

its fine, i’ve seen a lot of build does that to save on footprint

3 Likes

If memory serves correctly the 60d+ are based off of 4.xx hardware, so the max ERPM you can achieve (or stay below) is 60 or 65k? I keep mine around 50k to be safe.

no, 60d+ is v6 hardware

3 Likes

Whoops, don’t listen to me then lol. I think the max is 100k then.

1 Like

Does this look right to you chaps?

Normally on others boards the motor pulley is almost flush with the mount but my motors have a 10mm step down to 8mm on the shaft?

I can flip the motor pulley but then it sticks out and also not seen any others like this.

Wanted to front mount the motors too but the direction of the wires is at an angle so either rub on the floor or hit the deck

You could move the mount further outwards and then flip the motor pulley

1 Like

Thanks, did look at that, just looked a little weird. I’ll give it a go.

Is there enough clearance below the motors would you say? Can’t move it higher at the moment as it will hit the pivot part of the mount but moving the hangers closer to the wheels may give room to raise them if needed

The VESC 4 has 2 battery shunts, a DRV8302 gate driver and at the time of it’s release, unoptimized firmware with issues.

The VESC 6 design has 3 phase shunts and a DRV8301 gate driver with external current sense amplifiers

The Stormcore 60D+ has 3 battery shunts, a larger 100 pin STM32F405, two newer DRV8323 gate drivers with internal current sense amps.

The Unity/Stormcore ESCs are really a category of their own compared to VESC 4 or VESC 6 designs from Vedder. The Unity was based off the 2 battery shunt VESC 4 with quite a few changes, and evolved into a much improved design with the Stormcores.

You can run more than 65k eRPMs on a 60D. Bioboards tested the 100D to 100k eRPMs. and the older Unity was tested by the designer at 130k eRPMs

3 Likes