Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Surf Rodz TKP trucks aren’t very stable without split angle baseplates, and they use bolts that snap under stress, so they kinda suck for esk8. Savage trucks are much better

That being said, you could ask for mystery surf rodz with a 10mm axle, buy longer replacement axles from boardnamics and Idea mounts for them. You can make it work if you really want to…

2 Likes

wouldnt it still be a gamble with regards to the hanger length? like if I land a 100mm hanger then I’d have to use loads of spacers so that wheels fit and even then it’d be risky? . My build is lightweight street build, only concrete friendly, so the lack of robustness for SR may be ok…though the wheels of choice will be Trampa hypa hubs/gummies/urban treads and maybe some blue cags (gonna sell my TB110 as they too heavy)

and I guess I could dewedge the SR’s too?

Yep, the savage TKP ‘s are not cheap. I wish they could be less expensive.

3 Likes

Hah, that wasn’t a dig on my part, i get that small batches of bespoke dope stuff is gonna cost a lot. They look amazing :ok_hand:

How much do they weigh btw?

I honestly don’t know. I’ve never weighed them. I think @janpom weighed them, and posted it on the original thread.

1 Like

The 149mm hangers are awesome once you swap out the stupid shoulderbolts for 10mm BN axles!

BUT

They are totally not suitable for esk8. The bolts holding the two pieces together either back themselves out or just completely shear.

I gave them a good run but after the third failure i gave up on them completely.

3 Likes

so you rule out Surf Rodz completely, or just the ones that aren’t 177mm?

The surfrodz tkps aren’t suitable for esk8 AT ALL imo.

1 Like

same for DKP? (planning a surfy, carvery, low speed build)

I don’t really havr much experience with DKP cos i really don’t like them, but the one set I rode and quite liked was the metroboard ones.

1 Like

How do you mount 3 grub screws motor mounts an keep them straight?
I’ve got the feeling I tried everything I can (eyeballing it, pressing it against the pulley then tightening, different tightening patterns, edit: also tried to use threaded rods to adjust them parallel and then tightening, same result) but they either don’t mount perfectly straight or they wiggle themself free after some paved roads even with 243 loctite on them, I’m 2 clicks away from ordering BN184 and precision clamps :sweat_smile: (tho that would mean I also have to get plates laser cut to fit my lights…)

Any mounts that use grub screws to clamp to the hanger can burn in hell

Just my opinion.

5 Likes

The worst is, My first board was with this type of mount I made, ended up welding them in place, I swore never to use grub screws again. But I’m an idiot.

That is unfortunate :sweat_smile:

I’ve had way too many frustrating failures with that type of clamping system. 2 piece clamps are the only way IMO.

1 Like

Does anyone know where can I get these 30º baseplates?

No idea about those, but you can get 20 degree caliber baseplates from @Tony_Stark

2 Likes

Update to 1.1 and have disconnection issues :unamused:
About 1.5 to 2 meters far from the board it disconnects.
Any help will be appreciated

1 Like

Perhaps it could be possible because the receiver is on the side of the enclosure?

Don’t mount them at all. Get some better mounts.

Even if you get them mounted, they will likely fail in short order.

That being said,

1 Like

Looks like good positioning to me.
Worth checking with flipsky?

1 Like