Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

I have the first batch remote (still have to update) and my setting is on the VESC tool at UART remote, current no reverse

Adjust the app setting in the vesc remote tab. :man_shrugging:
Definitely update to 1.1.

1 Like

I’ll have to check when I get home from work later. I know mine is on the newer firmware 1.1 but I’ll see what it says in one of the menus for reverse. I’d think if it were disabled in VESC tool that it shouldn’t work however.

1 Like

Anyone know normal operating temp of sensored 6374 190kv motors? Hitting about 150f on a humid day wondering if thats too hot.

I have a 2 year old pair of 6374 TB motors, I’m looking to upgrade to 6485 motors from radium /or skp. Is it worth the money?
Context: I am running 8in pneumatics at 4.60 gear ratio.

1 Like

I don’t have any facts to back this up but I run my motors at almost full-rated current and they never get more than lightly warm. might wanna check current limits and see if your battery is getting that hot as well.

1 Like

65 doesn’t seem that bad, mine will reach that if I push hard. The ESC will start cutting power if you start hitting the temp cutoffs you set, which is I think 85 by default.

1 Like

1 Like

Yeah, i have 1:7 steel gear drive and 10 inch tires … motors have enough power but get hot, wondering if its alright. Also one of my sensors is broken so im using a heat laser gun to read temps. They got wicked hot today after about 30 mins. Not the biggest issue but also dont want to do damage.

Edit thanks to both responses just wanted to get a guage on operating temperatures.

Unless you have the cans off, you’re almost certainly not getting an accurate reading with that.
The hottest part of the motor isn’t visible from the outside - it’s the stator coils in the middle.

With that being said, the coils should be okay up to between 120 and 150 degrees celsius, depending on the temperature rating of the wire that was used in the construction.
The magnets in the can (the outer part you can actually measure with a temp gun) should be kept below about 80 or so degrees celsius. Luckily the can gets lots of airflow so it generally stays much cooler than the stator.

2 Likes

Great information, looks like I should be in clear. will keep an eye on temps.

1 Like

There are some folks on here who have had good success with 3d printed fans/impellers mounted on the back of their motors, to force more airflow through the core of the motor and help keep things happy. If you have the room, they can be a good upgrade to consider.

3 Likes

Updated the remote and nothing new happened, so I found that you must have the VESC remote on current and disable the smart reverse.

2 Likes

Can anyone recommend max erpm settings for Stormcore 60D+?

Thanks

whatever the default value is

3 Likes

1 Like

Yes. Don’t fucking change them. :rofl:

That setting doesn’t do what you think it does.

If you’re building certain types of aircraft that setting may be useful. Not for an esk8.

1 Like

What are these little annoying star shaped screws called on hubs? Need to get the right screwdriver head from hardware or electronics store

Thanks

If 6 points it’s torx

If 5 points it’s called “star”

If 6 points with a pin it’s a security torx, sometimes abbreviated as TX of TH

1 Like

Torx is the most common name, although it’s technically a trademark of Textron. Other names include Hexalobular, 6lobe, and star drive.

I’ve always called those pentalobe.

2 Likes