Arythmia 4WD - Boundmotor Octopus

Sex bolt / Chicago bolt.

Another option is a wider flange on your enclosure and a continuous line of butyl tape around the enclosure flange inside the line of the bolt holes, so that water going through a bolt hole still can’t get inside the enclosure.

Through bolt for robustness still works.

But butyl tape is a hassle to remove if you need to open enclosure again.

1 Like

I have some JB WELD gasket stuff i was contemplating using (and still might) but again, itll be painful to remove… better than butyl tape tho :laughing:

Im going to be using butyl tape externally as a final seal over the gasket, it should be easier to remove if its external to the enclosure. I’ll detail all that later once the rest os sorted, its kinda the last seal (i hope)

The more i think about this bolt/sleeve/bolt solution the more I like it. (Shit load of work) The sleeve is resisted by the imbedded washer at the top from pulling down and the sleeve is put into tension as the bolt tightens down, not tension on the sleeve/deck interface like a traditional threaded insert which relies on the deck, the bottom bolt pulling up also wants to put the sleeve in tension the other direction… ill have to have a chat to one of my old engineer buddies about it but i feel like its solid amd will be waterproof… also sexy with color matched imedded washers… :laughing:

1 Like

Interesting, thats almost what im going to make… mine must be a self sexing bolt

So while i await the belts i have time for the details. The final sealing strip around the enclosure riser will be snug AF

Water is going to have to try very hard indeed to get through this and I’ll look pretty tidy to boot.

The butyl tape and rubber layer peels off the gasket material pretty easily while still being quite well bonded.

4 Likes

The deck has come out pretty sweet with the inserts all epoxied in.

The bolts themselves wont allow water through as im going to give it a bit of sealant as a “threadlocker” which forms a nice little gasket on the countersunk washer

4 Likes

Well ive finally got to ride it!!! Even if it was only round the block as a tentative ride… still felt good!!

First impression is that its very tall, you cant help but notice the height, ill get the measurements in a wrap up.

Its time to give it its first charge and balance, and while there are some revisions needed, and inferior parts to be replaced. She’s done and in a ridable condition.

I should get a chance to go for a ride tmoz and can’t bloody wait!

7 Likes

I like to laminate my enclosures. I also laminate the bottom of the board.

1 Like

Huh? Laminate them with what?

Mistake.

Laminating film :slight_smile:

I also like to laminate my boards with mistakes

2 Likes

Im finally able to call it complete… its been charged, its been ridden.

The big surprise in this is the BN270’s. They’re amazing and have as much if not more carve and tight turning circle as the devolved dkp board, was able to zip through low spped tight turns easily.

Wheel bite on 200mm tyres is real, only at low speed full turns so ill need to work out my feet.

Its a phsically long deck but feels so short to stand on. Its as long as the flux but feels like such a short stance. Time will tell if thats gunna work for me long term. Its also very tall, the deck standing height is about 180mm high… feels like climbing up a stepladder :laughing:. Ive only had two stort rides but i do seem to get used to the height quickly.

Power delivery is waaaaay smoother than id expected it to be, coming from the M24 the difference is stark. I cant say ive full throttled it yet but the drive on a rolling start is beefy and smooth., first experience with the DV6 is very positive. Im yet to play with the setting too much.

Its irritating that its been pissing down for the two days since its been complete, while its been very much designed as a wet board, itd also be nice if it wasnt 6’c outside… cold i can do, wet i can do… cold and wet can get fucked. Im led to believe that we may see sky tmoz, so im pinning my hopes on a 50km ride in the morning.

There was much that id not do the same again and there are many things that ill add process to next time, either way, as a first build this has been epic.

Still to go.

Add the front light (buck converter is wired into enclosure)
Find some replacement bolts (cant stand rusty bolts)
Add the weatherseal and underglow lights

Thanks for all the help, info and tolerance :+1: :laughing:

4 Likes

What was up with the battery!?

A wire to be connected to the BMS, was the best possible outcome.

Also, you should expect that package today i believe :wink:

Yeah i figured it would be a bms thing. Great result.

Congrats on the build!

The polish works have begun, I wanted a serious front light on this board, it’s intended as a commuter so it’ll need to light the way, I’m to add this 400w chonky thing to the front end… it’ll be easy I said…

The I realized that I’d probably have to rewire the whole thing to make it work and look the goods too so I set about bringing it up to speed.

Cable routing and management… fuck’n’hell it takes time to get the right solution, in the end, the simpler the better is best.

I’m contemplating using a barrel jack connection through the enclosure for the lights… unless there is a reason why I shouldn’t? also considering epoxying in a couple of these inserts to secure it to the u/s of the deck.

Underglow: Ive settled on some of this for now, it’s an easy experiment so will see how it fares, seems like it’ll be fairly robust.

1 Like

Link to that? I don’t think we have a “led strip” general thread yet…

Led light channels to extend life on led strips

Not this… looks like its built in?

I think the led is laid in a base and these “neons” fit over the top.

Ill see if i can dig up some product info

1 Like

Revised cable sleeving and changed the front motors down from 6485 to 6355’s and added the buck converter and light… i learned here that lights shoulf be thought out much earlier in the build too. Doing a full strip down to add the connection was shit.

Im impresed with the light throw from it

All it needs is a bull bar to protect the light and deck, so combining a couple of ideas brought me to this. It’ll sit in between the mount and the motor with a double 10mm bull bar between. For extra strengrh itll also bolt through the idler hole.

Im gunna get these made in the next week or so, if anyone wants a set theyll be pretty cheap.

3 Likes

Radium does 6355’s?? Or did you just swap over the can cover