Arythmia 4WD - Boundmotor Octopus

Is that sensor wire size? Makes my eyes do weird focus shit, i basically have to almost use magnifying glasses

3 Likes

I realised today that i needed to build a jig to support the running gear while its detached from the deck to run the first detections

I went.through and connected all rhe hall sensors and phase wires and added clear heat shrink. Im thinking of running a sleeve over all the cables but thats all polish and not important right now…

Im going to spend the night hitting everyrhing with 243 and making sure all the hardware is home tight.

Its fucking crazy how the last %10 takes %90 of the time

3 Likes

Life!!! Fun not flames!!

That was harrowing and epic… and now i have a day of work tmoz and then im away for 5 days :laughing:

2 Likes

It really is. Taking things off and on again to get things to align/measure up or having to get things settled in correctly, is also really annoying. But you’re sooooo close :star_struck:

I tried to get away with not having the big arsed cable risers in but having the 6485’s in front wont allow it.

Revision 1: swap to 6355 up front and remove cable risers.

For now, I’ll just push on.

Still to do:
get nice mounting hardware
Add cable sleeving externally
Add antisparks
Ride the fucking thing
Work out lights

Naturally i have the wrong size belts so im at least 2 weeks away from riding it, that will give me enough time to address the small bits and pieces while i wait for the belts to arrive.

1 Like

Ive been thinking about the enclosure bolts and how i can waterproof that part of the build.

So my idea is to make the top of the deck completely impervious by waterproofing the bolt holes and making enclosure fixed from the bottom.

Method:
Install and epoxy in M4 sleeves and top washer through all bolt holes being critical of both length and angle.
A thin layer of either liquid tape or flexi seal under the top mounted bolts as a permanent fixing. They wont be used to secure the enclosure as such.
The length of the sleeve will be critical as it will be recessed into the riser until compressed by the bolt fixings on the underside.

This eliminates the possibility of water ingress from the top and gives the whole enclosure an effective “torqued” fixing from underneath.

This seems to to me to be a better way than traditional inserts that suffer from repeated use and over torque. I can see the location has bulged on my Flux over time and id rather not repeat that on this one.

…or is it supid and if so why? :laughing:

Sex bolt / Chicago bolt.

Another option is a wider flange on your enclosure and a continuous line of butyl tape around the enclosure flange inside the line of the bolt holes, so that water going through a bolt hole still can’t get inside the enclosure.

Through bolt for robustness still works.

But butyl tape is a hassle to remove if you need to open enclosure again.

1 Like

I have some JB WELD gasket stuff i was contemplating using (and still might) but again, itll be painful to remove… better than butyl tape tho :laughing:

Im going to be using butyl tape externally as a final seal over the gasket, it should be easier to remove if its external to the enclosure. I’ll detail all that later once the rest os sorted, its kinda the last seal (i hope)

The more i think about this bolt/sleeve/bolt solution the more I like it. (Shit load of work) The sleeve is resisted by the imbedded washer at the top from pulling down and the sleeve is put into tension as the bolt tightens down, not tension on the sleeve/deck interface like a traditional threaded insert which relies on the deck, the bottom bolt pulling up also wants to put the sleeve in tension the other direction… ill have to have a chat to one of my old engineer buddies about it but i feel like its solid amd will be waterproof… also sexy with color matched imedded washers… :laughing:

1 Like

Interesting, thats almost what im going to make… mine must be a self sexing bolt

So while i await the belts i have time for the details. The final sealing strip around the enclosure riser will be snug AF

Water is going to have to try very hard indeed to get through this and I’ll look pretty tidy to boot.

The butyl tape and rubber layer peels off the gasket material pretty easily while still being quite well bonded.

4 Likes

The deck has come out pretty sweet with the inserts all epoxied in.

The bolts themselves wont allow water through as im going to give it a bit of sealant as a “threadlocker” which forms a nice little gasket on the countersunk washer

4 Likes

Well ive finally got to ride it!!! Even if it was only round the block as a tentative ride… still felt good!!

First impression is that its very tall, you cant help but notice the height, ill get the measurements in a wrap up.

Its time to give it its first charge and balance, and while there are some revisions needed, and inferior parts to be replaced. She’s done and in a ridable condition.

I should get a chance to go for a ride tmoz and can’t bloody wait!

7 Likes

I like to laminate my enclosures. I also laminate the bottom of the board.

1 Like

Huh? Laminate them with what?

Mistake.

Laminating film :slight_smile:

I also like to laminate my boards with mistakes

2 Likes

Im finally able to call it complete… its been charged, its been ridden.

The big surprise in this is the BN270’s. They’re amazing and have as much if not more carve and tight turning circle as the devolved dkp board, was able to zip through low spped tight turns easily.

Wheel bite on 200mm tyres is real, only at low speed full turns so ill need to work out my feet.

Its a phsically long deck but feels so short to stand on. Its as long as the flux but feels like such a short stance. Time will tell if thats gunna work for me long term. Its also very tall, the deck standing height is about 180mm high… feels like climbing up a stepladder :laughing:. Ive only had two stort rides but i do seem to get used to the height quickly.

Power delivery is waaaaay smoother than id expected it to be, coming from the M24 the difference is stark. I cant say ive full throttled it yet but the drive on a rolling start is beefy and smooth., first experience with the DV6 is very positive. Im yet to play with the setting too much.

Its irritating that its been pissing down for the two days since its been complete, while its been very much designed as a wet board, itd also be nice if it wasnt 6’c outside… cold i can do, wet i can do… cold and wet can get fucked. Im led to believe that we may see sky tmoz, so im pinning my hopes on a 50km ride in the morning.

There was much that id not do the same again and there are many things that ill add process to next time, either way, as a first build this has been epic.

Still to go.

Add the front light (buck converter is wired into enclosure)
Find some replacement bolts (cant stand rusty bolts)
Add the weatherseal and underglow lights

Thanks for all the help, info and tolerance :+1: :laughing:

4 Likes

What was up with the battery!?

A wire to be connected to the BMS, was the best possible outcome.

Also, you should expect that package today i believe :wink: