Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

S for SPEED
P for PLEASE MORE RANGE

2 Likes

more P can also increase pack lifetime

more S can also increase failure rate

range is really S * P but for the same combination only, like 10S6P and 12S5P, where they are both 60 cells, then the one with more S could get a tiny bit more range due to decreased losses in the ESC. But it also stresses the ESC more and can reduce the ESC’s lifetime. However, less S can also increase range a tiny bit because your top speed is lower, which reduces drag. Since the ESC losses are linear and the aerodynamic drag losses are exponential, less S would actually give a tiny bit more range unless you geared it up to the same top speed. But we are splitting hairs here, range is almost entirely determined by

1. number of cells
  2. your riding style
3 Likes

Where is @professor_shartsis when you need him

6 Likes

That’s not funny

5 Likes

Ok so interested in a premade backpack battery deal. But states 50a max discharge. 21Ah capacity, 36v. Is 50amps enough? (I know it isn’t ideal)

Yes, it’s plenty. I have 4 of my skates set at 29A max in the ESC settings.

Are you going to be able to do burnouts when the light turns green? Nope.

Is it enough? It is 100% enough to have a really fast esk8 that you will have loads of fun on.

2 Likes

50A battery max is fine but will stress the cells quite a lot if you ride hard. Its better to overengineer the battery pack to lessen the stress on the pack.

1 Like

It is not a VESC - it is a random used ESC of ebay origin…
Once I have my third board ready I might violate @b264’s principle of never touching a running board and upgrade it to a VESC.

1 Like

Also what @bollen said. Even if the pack is rated for 50A, run it at 30A. It will last longer and fail less.

Cheers guys.

Never buy a battery unless you know what cells are in it.

“Samsung” or “Sanyo” etc tells you almost nothing about what cells they are. That’s like describing a car you’re going to buy as “a Ford”. Yeah, but which one?

4 Likes

That’s why. Braking profiles are pre set on there. What’s worse, the new wheels are larger in diameter and heavier. This will hurt your braking performance.

A Vesc will let you control brakes. And sounds like you need it.

I had many times where I mashed to fill brakes at 20mph with my ownboard esc and hubs and felt like nothing was happening. It’s scary. Get a Vesc

1 Like

Is 33.6v for a 12s battery voltage cutoff fine?

For final cutoff? It’s fine. A tad low, I would suggest 2.9 per cell. Once you go below 3.0, there’s really not much power left anyway.

I have my 12s cutoff starting at 38.4 and ending at 34.8 and I feel like most people would say that is on the low side.

1 Like

Yup. Sound advice. Don’t know what the cells are. Good Deals Thread

Haha, my other board (Zhong) with Ownboard ESC and hubs has fabulous brakes in comparison to this one… yes, I need a VESC.
The only regret I have with Zhong is to not have bypassed the BMS - Braking on a full battery, it will cut off the brakes, sending me to to street.

Why do you want the battery in a backpack?

Now I am trying to imagine a backpack in a battery… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Don’t know mate. Considering doing something different. Have you seen this? Morpheus | Backpack MTB | Refined Commuter. Just looking really. It’s in an auction site. If it’s cheap I might bid

2 Likes

Feel free to ask whatever you want. I’m test riding the latest iteration with Unity tonight.

1 Like