Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

I made a calc that should roughly give the right values if you know the diameter and mounting distance (center to center between pulleys) https://jikph.csb.app/ also can use a string to wrap around then measure the length if you have it mounted usually just buy a couple around the right size.

1 Like

Back out mounting screws make sure they arenā€™t plunged down into the coils, not sure how it is with these motors but happens a lot with quadcopters you screw in too far or too long screws can scrape enamel off the coils and make things short internally (just guessing though still, something to check)

2 Likes

Can you measure the resistance between the phases? A to B, A to C and B to C.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, which screws are you talking about ?

@tipsy I will need a multimeter, ordering one right now. I will report back when I get it. I knew I would need one at some point. Thanks :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I donā€™t have any Calibers on hand to measure, unfortunately.

You should make the fit as tight as you possibly can and still get it on there. So no, I think 1mm is WAY too loose. Iā€™d go with like 0.05mm, and see where that gets you.

1 Like

Possibly bearing?

1 Like

I was thinking the ones you have pictured in A, the ones for B should just be helping to hold the can on I think and shouldnā€™t run into the coils at all but the ones that come in from the top/bottom of the cylinder usually donā€™t have something to stop the screws/bolts from being too far screwed in.

1 Like

Noob question! hahaha.

Can somebody explain different battery configurations to me? I am trying to decide which to go for for a custom board Iā€™m going to build. Iā€™m seeing all sorts of battery configs like 10s6p, 12s3p (I think) etc.

To give you some more information about the build, Iā€™ll be using 120mm wheels, 6374 190 kv motors x2

Also need to decide -
which VESC to use
gearing

Any help would be great! thanks a lot guys.

Decide on the deck and enclosure first.

4 Likes

Do you want high reliability? Low weight? Long lasting? Higher resale? Longer range? Smaller size? Better looking? Ability to use in arctic cold? Safer? Higher top speed?

Pick only 2 or 3 of those that are MOST important to you.

Whatā€™s your budget?

3 Likes

Also like @tipsy mentioned, youā€™re likely going to run into big problems this way.

Try this

2 Likes

Thanks for asking questions! Iā€™m not sure of the dimensions of the deck yet, but Iā€™ve asked a couple of questions. Iā€™m in early stages of planning for the board.

I may use a full carbon fibre deck with what Iā€™ve been told is tonnes of space. The store told me it can fit ā€œ720 WH of batteryā€ within the enclosure.

I like going for long rides, so range is important to me. High reliability of course. Highest speed Iā€™m probably looking for is around 55-60km/hr for a bit of a rush. Iā€™m not sure what better looking has to do with a battery, itā€™s hidden all the time, isnā€™t it?

edit: as for budget, itā€™s going to cost me an arm and a leg anyways since iā€™m in canada. go big or go home (within reason)

1 Like

First measure the battery tray and let us know. Iā€™d say to use metric but youā€™re in Canada so you probably will already.

2 Likes

I figured a bunch of you guys would want one. Iā€™ll see what I can do, for now Iā€™ll delete that - Iā€™d like to have some things put together for my board before everyone beats me to it.

Iā€™ll get some measurements!

1 Like

Hope this helps man!

Oh for sure @Venom121212 I understand that the numbers are series and parallels. But what benefit is there to change up the numbers of each?

What are your motor min and battery min settings

1 Like

@bwahl602 thatā€™s a little beyond my knowledge at this time!

What Vesc are you using? They are settings you configure.

If using an ESC, you canā€™t configure them. This was the reason I transitioned to Vesc, tunable brakes

To answer your question, S count in a pack increases voltage, P count increases current. I must ask first, how much do you know about electricity, batteries and motors in general?

1 Like