A123 LiFePO4 Cells - the iron man’s battery

Yeah It’s just about getting what I have sitting here to work.

Actually since this 15S life pack is so close to a 13S one could they be directly paralleled? I forget what the rational with combining dissimilar packs is. If not I have a CC/CV that I can throw in.

If one has a lower internal resistance, it will deliver more amps than the other, and then when they have a resting moment, the high resistance pack will push a lot of amps into the now lower voltage pack. This essentially leads to extra cycling, potentially at too high c-rates.

People will advise you not to.
But if you never dis/charge them beyond either packs’ limits and in use draw A good bit less Amps than they could deliver, you will be fine in practice.
If you are ok with them potentially breaking sooner, and want to experiment a bit, go for it. But be sure to understand what you are doing first.

2 Likes

Sounds good to me, the 13S pack can put out 40A constant and 80A peak which should be ok.

Don’t know much about IR but I think the A123 cells will be lower than the SV-BA10 13s 20Ah Battery

It would be a good experiment, not enough irl testing with this kind of stuff out there.

1 Like

If you do it, take some current measurements of both batteries- I would be interested to see how they behave in practice.

1 Like

Yeah I need a current clamp. Or how would you do it?

You can get some cheap Ammeter with 100A shunt.

2 Likes

maybe eh? warning, this device is pretty huge.

2 Likes

@hummieee lol this looks good for you!

Wonder if this would be worth a group buy…

oh wait these are “A123 pouch cells” not 26650

two of those as a top mount MTB 14S pack would be interesting
58.8Ah I think

$42 a cell shipped sheesh

2 Likes

That would be an amazing battery for a golf cart or an e-motorcycle.

2 Likes

Oh they were selling them individually for quite a bit.

2 Likes

@malJohann and everyone… @b264

What chargers are you guys using for a123’s?

3 Likes

I don’t know about them, but I’m running a 14s a123 pack and I’ve got a typical 50.4v ‘12s’ charger going to my bms.

2 Likes

What’s the voltage of your fully charged a123 pack? Actually, let me just pm you :rofl:

1 Like

IMO, id keep the details in the open so its searchable. I like seeing the finer details when im looking around for pack ideas :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nothin much in our pm, @Rob is using a 50.4v charger for 14s LiFePo4 a123 battery. I’m trying to
Find a charger for an 18s LiFePo4 battery :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeurp. It’s not hard to charge them, or find chargers/bms options, it just gets more expensive obviously the bigger your needs for powaa

I gave you a example of a usable charger + bms duo, but total it cost like 150$+, and doesn’t have the nifty Bluetooth features everyone craves

1 Like

Still haven’t convinced myself that I should get a bunch of those A123 and make a pack with them and save a little bit of money or just empty the wallet on P42’s.

I know @malJohann used LiFePo4 for a while, but switched over to LiPo. From a AT/OffRoad board perspective, just not sure if its going to be a bummer or not lol :smiley:

4 Likes

Weight is obviously a big one to consider compared to their power output and whatnot, but to me atleast, the main thing is how long the a123 cells will last, and their nice discharge they offer throughout the ride.
Although, they weight much more and have lower voltage than that of the other competition

Graphene lipos seem to have long cycle lives as well, 600+ in some cases,
while keeping the juicy power.

Longer lasting; lifepo4
More performance; li-ion, lipo

You obviously know much more than me on this, that is just the reasoning I laid out for myself when choosing

5 Likes

I use a 10S Li-Ion charger from Baja with an adjustable pot on the inside. For a 10S LiFePO4 I charge to 36.5V (0.5V more than “full”, only do this on LiFePO4). Full charge is 3.6V per cell.

I run mine as 20S and charge them as 10S for the moment.

Other way around chief, and LiFePO4 rules for me.

What do you classify as performance? LiFePO4 has great, stable performance for 90% of the charge, just lower capacity and nominal voltage, so you have to compensate with more cells, which ultimately means more weight.

3 Likes

It’s the shape of the discharge curve of non-LiFePO4 that I don’t like.

A123

P42A

2 Likes