ZESC v6c vesc variant

Its a flipsky product

10 Likes

The 4.12s are literally unchanged vedder ones arenā€™t they? I find as long as its not DOA, it performs as a 4.12 vedder esc does

My understanding is that most peopleā€™s complaints about flipsky is the QC

3 Likes

I canā€™t comment too in depth about component level stuff, since Iā€™m not very knowledgeable about it, but from what others have shown on the forum I wouldnā€™t make a 1:1 comparison.

Also very few, if any, 4.xxs are floating around straight from Vedder himself. I would point a finger at the materials flipsky uses, as well as their QC like @BenjaminF said.

Granted flipsky likes to sell their products cheap, I expect them to cheap out when buying the components.

1 Like

Yea 100% the QC is shitty, especially right now. For me at least, iā€™ve had excellent luck running 4.12s on low amp simple builds (Like 20 battery ampsish), they pop up on UK ebay for literally as low as Ā£35 shipped taxed which is just ridiculously cheap, so I always pick them up for small side projects. But it kills me inside when I see a new builder fall hard into the trap of running them in 12S FOC on his main build.

The ZESC looks nice, hopefully the year of new ESCs keeps rolling

4 Likes

I was given 2 FlipSky 4.20 Plusā€™s for testing before the commercial release. Both are still going strong. They are both on thane drives with 10s or 12s packs, high miles but not extremely fast. I have bought 3 others for builds and all 3 died within weeks.

I donā€™t know if that correlates to QC quality, but itā€™s definitely not good.

15 Likes

@mmaner what was the failure mode?

I suspect it might have to do with the soldering. Iā€™ve noticed their products have quite a few cold joints, itā€™s a side effect of the heavy copper they use (heavy copper is GOOD). I suggested to their CS department that if they are not already using a trapezoidal reflow profile, they should switch to one.

There seems to be better QC roll on the single units. (Less copper to heat up?)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m doing now, original tb vesc 4.1 with 1000+ miles on it probably, like 4 years old, still doin its thing. But itā€™s only been pushing 15 battery amps the whole time.

5 Likes

My friend had a tb vesc that died first time FOCing.

Flipsky not the only ones with unlucky QC xD.

2 Likes

sweet, I just build a 20a mono belt thane board as well. (build thread soon) Whats the top speed you get? I get 32 km/h when calculators say I should be getting 39km/h loaded. I chalked that up to the 20a max, but curious to what youā€™re getting

It was DRV related, you can see the damage with the naked eye. Iā€™ll fish them out f whatever box they are in if you want it.

5 Likes

I had two TB 4.12s that I ran 40a batt max FOC on and they lasted the year I used them, until I decided to sell themā€¦ and presumably are still working today :stuck_out_tongue:

Everyone has QC issues, but there are definitely superior 4.xx variants

3 Likes

Itā€™s a dog runner so never even tried to push it. It goes as fast as my 15lb dog can run.

Yea theyā€™re either bulletproof or they burn out quickly.

My fesc6 is now officially dead, only took it out for a test. Then a sputter. Now dead.

8 Likes

Here is the test video.
Test1: low rpm and 60a phase current. FETs_temp ends with 53C.
Test2: high rpm 1000w load. FETs_temp ends with 30C.

11 Likes

You should perform the openloop command when testing the capabilities of a vesc, I donā€™t understand it fully but I know itā€™s what Vedder uses to show his designs off

For those who didnā€™t watch the video this is only 10s, not 12 or 13s

1 Like

Also what happened at 2:07 in the video? That looks like it would be pretty awful to happen if someone were actually riding it :eyes:

Is there a reason the duty cycle isnā€™t at 100/95% when pulling the full 60a, but is at max when doing the 30a pull?

3 Likes

Whatever it is, it appears mechanical. Almost like someone suddenly pulled a friction brake, but I donā€™t see a brake there

1 Like

Iā€™ve had a sort of similar lock up like that happen when mixing a Chinese ESC with hub motors from a different vendor :man_shrugging:t2:

Also in the video you see the duty cycle slam to 0, looks like the vesc rebooted / reset itself?

1 Like

The motor was over-temped, so magnets were going to demagnetization. This resulted lower torque and motor got stuck.

2 Likes

I use my foot to control the friction of the wheel. sometimes I cannot control well. put too much force on it.

4 Likes