Z.mote , new esk8 remote

Pulse Width Modulation, no? Whats PPM stand for?

1 Like

Parts per million

5 Likes

I don’t know shit about RF stuff, but PPM and PWM are different things. Why does VESC call it PPM if it’s really PWM? Is there documentation anywhere that explains it?

PWM and PPM Difference and Conversion - Oscar Liang

Difference Between PAM, PWM and PPM (with Comparison Chart) - Circuit Globe

1 Like

Brian put it on the scope and confirmed it’s pwm

https://forum.esk8.news/t/pwm-and-ppm-are-different-and-ppm-pwm/11859/2

Vedder just used the wrong term

5 Likes

Super interesting - thanks for linking Brian’s research

2 Likes

The GT2B is good, but not perfect. It’s a lot of work to mod it into a Mad Munkey or Baby Buffalo (slightly easier). If you use it a ton, the throttle pot eventually wears out and you get dead spots in it.

The Z.Mote uses a better throttle pot. From the creator:

Throttle gave me a bit of a trouble as well. I didn’t want to use hall sensor because they are hard to get it just right and the output values are sometimes jumpy which is not ideal. I turned my attention to potentiometers but again most of the products are rated for 10-20K turn lifecycles. I found 2-3 products which are just right and rated for 1KK(1million) turn lifecycle and they are incredibly steady.

It’s an Arduino/NRF24 based remote, which is somewhat older tech, but the receiver has a nice external antenna, and the remote could be modded so it had an external antenna too, but I haven’t had any dropouts yet so probably unnecessary.

It’s also a PWM (PPM) remote which I find a little easier to adjust and get right.

Here is my review on Etsy

I am loving this remote. The connection is very reliable, especially in areas where the mini remote cuts out. The light effects are fun and the seller’s communication about color options after the order was top notch!

I made a few modifications based on personal preference like disabling the trigger, reversing the thumb direction (forward is brake by default) and increasing throw.

Overall this is a very high quality remote with a lot of thought put into the design and assembly. I’d highly recommend it for anyone looking for a reliable remote.

7 Likes

:exploding_head: quite an odd choice :thinking:

4 Likes

If you are moving from a trigger remote to a thumb remote, its not as weird as you might think.

This remote looks excellent, i want to try one

6 Likes

I assumed most people with trigger remotes run forward as brake / pull trigger to accelerate. Same as maytech and evolve remotes. Thats how rc cars work too.

Is that not right?

2 Likes

Yeah, thats right for trigger, but Jaykup was talking about thumbscroll, which is opposite every other thumb out there

3 Likes

I just bought a z.mote trigger version off etsy. Should have it in a month or two.

4 Likes

The seller has been very communicative - and shared this picture as he is building my z.mote.

9 Likes

should try to drag him on the forum and share more about his project / ideas

edit: i know he is on builder, so we need him to be on here

2 Likes

I think he lurks. He actually had a couple of customization questions for me that he needed answering, and he was able to track me down and PM on the forum because I was not checking my emails.

2 Likes

ping him, we need more vendor / creative people to surface more

Dear Kamen,
if u r seeing this, we need u to show up. if u see this, please respond.
thanks
- random dude on this forum

8 Likes

The seller also shared this pretty cool option of transparent casing. I went with black on black because my brain demands black everything. I’m sure night riders will be stoked on the greater visibility tho.

16 Likes

Thank you for the letter :smiley: I think I created this account some time ago and I totally forgot about it. I was surprised when I was able to just log in. I had to track down @Shadowfax regarding his order :smiley:

I’m working on “Light+” version for the thumb throttle version. It looks absolutely stunning at night and great for visibility as well. Pictures and videos doesn’t do its justice at all, they look so much better. I’m working on it on my free time for now, just adding lines to the current code. I have couple concerns and they require some more testing but we will see how it goes :slight_smile:

Here’s how it looks so far

34 Likes

daaaaaang bro, this is so cool. speaking of flashy remote, hands down this is the best one out there

6 Likes

Thank you, so far it works quite well. What I’m trying to add is a voltage divider with 200k and 10k to a battery. We already have a ground from the vesc so a single thin silicone cable preferably after the antispark switch goes directly to the receiver and theoretically it should be safe up to 70V but lets say 60V to account for the overshoot.
Goes like this, you press a battery check button, code checks if theres a running light mode at that time of pressing the button, if yes (stop that sht), switch to static mode, get color from the color wheel according to the reading we get from the receiver, hold it for 2 seconds, switch back to the mode you’ve been in.
if no, switch the lights on etc, after 2 seconds switch off the lights.
For now this works with remote battery but going to test it with my board which is only 10s but i will see how it goes.
Depending on the deadmans switch state we can check both batteries. If de pressed run that check for remote battery, if pressed run it for the board battery etc.

From the color wheel Im limiting the %100 to blue color and as it decreases goes towards red which is %0
It is of course not a precise measurement but it should at least give you a rough idea of current battery level.

18 Likes

Welcome back @Zyb !

BTW this remote looks fucking awesome. Loving the night ride light up vibe!

10 Likes