YerfKart Conversion

Alright we’ve got a brand new development to dive into here. Probably going to need some community help on this one for advice, but it’s quite intriguing.

My friend @ryan9921 decided to take on the task of converting another friend’s gokart from Yerf-Dog to electric.
http://www.yerf-dog.com/main_gokart.html

He texted me a few weeks ago and since then we have been working on getting components sorted out. We don’t know exactly which one of these it is, so that was unfortunate, but the components should work on most of them. One of our goals is to stay under 2k for the build. That being said, we need: ESC, Motor, pedal controller, BMS, charger, and batteries.

For the batteries, we decided to pick up a 144 pack of the SPIM08HP cells with the goal of making a 16s9p battery pack. This should be more than enough power for our goals.

For the ESC, Motor, and pedal controls, we picked up a kit from Aliexpress that had a combination of the motor, speed controller, and a pedal.

Normally they come with a twisty hand control but we were able to message the seller and they switched it to a pedal for us, pretty great! I think that the go kart frame probably has mechanical brakes in it still too so the combination should work out well.

For the BMS, I picked a smart bms from LLT Power. With the Bluetooth feature, it will be convenient to see the individual P group voltages without having to probe things. In addition we can place the temperature probe on the pack for a good readout. I picked a 16S 80A discharge one, we will be bypassing discharge because I don’t really feel like having to worry about overdoing the current.

To go along with the BMS, I searched around on their site for a bit to see if we could pick up a charger from the same company, but it seems like they don’t have any 16s chargers at the amperage we want. We want to have a 12-15A 16S charger, but they only have smaller amperage versions. There are a bunch of other voltages, even higher ones that have the right current reading, but no 16S. It is very confusing looking around for chargers because all of the different sites label their voltages differently. Sometimes 16s will be 67.2v, sometimes it will be 60v, you never really know.

I kind of came to the conclusion that I should be looking for a “60v” charger, but we are still on the search for it. I really would like to get a 15A or higher charger, the LTT Power BMS says it can do 15A “normal current” and 20A “max current” so I was aiming between there, maybe an 18A charger would be good, but we also don’t really want to spend $300 on a charger, so we will find a balance somehow.

Does anyone have suggestions on the charger?

2 Likes

I wanted to split this up as an update post, so here we go. As of today, the motor kit has arrived and some of the batteries. Here are some pictures of the motor, pedal, and ESC.

It’s convenient that it all came from the same seller because that means we can just plug and play. Unfortunately, we can’t really see how powerful it is until we get it hooked up though.

As for the batteries, we are in kind of a predicament here. As of right now, we were only delivered 74 of the 144 cells that we ordered. I don’t know why this is, but we have already messaged BatteryClearingHouse to see what is up. @Guy746

I don’t know if it is customary to only send half the cells per box, but we only received one box, with a really weird number of cells in it. The cells are still in stock on the BCH website so I don’t see any reason why we wouldn’t have received them all. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly. I’m going to tag a few people here who I know have bought these cells:

@Fosterqc @Silverline @Arzamenable @nclayton @MoeStooge @itsrow @iamasalmon @Mobutusan

How were yours shipped? People who ordered over 74 cells, did you receive two boxes? Did they come at the same time? Ours says delivered but only one box was in the shipment.

EDIT: We have received all? (not counted yet) of the cells now, they came in two different boxes at different times, for some reason.

We plan on using crimp connections/rivets on these cells, which even with how that works, it will take ages to do all 144 cells. The real concern is the state of the cells though. The voltages are all over the place, the lowest ones so far were 1.8 and 2.7 volts. I will post an Excel matrix here with the voltages of the ?# cells once we finish measuring them. For the record, I have read the entire thread over here. Very interesting.

I was under the impression that these cells were supposed to be shipped as like “good cells” so I don’t know what’s up with the low ones. Like I said, I will post a matrix when we’re done so you guys can see.

1 Like

haha, 144 is a redonkulous amount of those spim08’s lol. you’re going to need like a 50 gallon tool tote or some shit for an enclosure :joy:

although, your could lay down 1800 amps with this gitup, @Arzamenable would approve as long as you have at least 8 motors to soak up that juice.

I just got this wimpy lil thing in the mail for a 60v lead-acid to li-ion conversion I’m doing. would take days to charge your battery, let me know if you want the link

3 Likes

Lmao yeah it should put down more amps than this motor / esc combo could ever imagine using.

I’ve found a few chargers, I don’t think 1.5A is going to be chill lmao, we calculated like 14hours for the 8a charger. So I can’t even imagine…

I think this is currently our best bet unless LTT Power has one that actually is 16S

1 Like

Good lord… I can’t believe this is how they were packaged.

4 Likes

Sweet project! My cells were at least wrapped in a thin layer of bubble wrap, but the box still looked like Ace Ventura delivered it. Completely loose cells in a box looks sketchy. They did send a few extra cells though, I’m guessing in case some were duds, so I got 75 cells delivered, but ordered 72.

2 Likes

Thanks! Can’t wait to see it actually come together, it’s gonna take a while, but I figured I would start up the thread now and post updates on it.

Interesting that they sent extra, maybe those will cover the bad ones. I guess we will see once they’re measured. @ryan9921 has his work cut out for him with the multimeter today lmao

1 Like

I only bought about 48, they all came in one box. Sorry i cant be of more help i turned them into a board charging station for my car. :confused:

2 Likes

That’s okay! Cool idea though

1 Like

I got 100 and they came in two 50 peice boxes

Havent counted them tho…

1 Like

We ended up getting 155 in our 144 pack, hopefully that’s enough to make up for the dead ones!

3 Likes

Welp the other day, @ryan9921 finished up measuring all the cell voltages and here is what was shipped. It’s quite the spread if I’m being honest. I definitely did not expect to see so many bad ones either.

Is it even possible to use the 1.7-1.9v cells? Are they completely dead? What about the 2.7-2.8v ones? Can we charge and use those?

Anyone have some suggestions?

For the people who don’t want to count, these are arranged in the cells as 16 cells vertically, the right side has 112 ‘good’ cells, and the left side has 21 ‘bad’ cells that fall below the 2.9v cutoff that I think is the limit for liion batteries.

I really would like for us to have a 16s9p, or at least have the 16s8p setup.

Alright so the charging process has begun. I forgot to post these pictures earlier, but there were several cells that were actually punctured, so that is kind of sketch. @Guy746 I don’t know if you were aware that punctured cells were shipped but that could be a serious hazard if things went south.

@ryan9921 started using a hobby charger to work through the cells, with our goal of making them all be 3.8v since they will likely be sitting in storage for a while. However, the hobby charger was too slow, so he picked up a power supply and has started using that, with much better success.

2 Likes

This would of been a great motor and controller instead of the cheap one :sweat_smile:

And I found a charger up to 12 A you can choose the voltage they’ll ship you so thats great ish [Charger](C$ 138.54 11%de réduction | Chargeur de batterie au lithium Lifepo 4, appareil électrique de recharge, 72 V, 60 V, 67.2 V, 71.4 V, Li-ion LiPo 48 V, ajusteur Curren, charge rapide vélo électriques, 12 S, 20 S, 24S https://a.aliexpress.com/_mL5gXTP)

BIG F i just revived sum :rofl: my bad

Oh nice! Yeah this project is still on hold due to my friend’s life getting super busy but we might pick it up again

1 Like

that’d be really cool, you could even document it since you have a yt channel :wink: I’d love to see the process if you do end up getting back to it

1 Like

Yeah man! When/if we pick it up again I’ll definitely make some videos on it! It really depends on my friend and the moment though since he was going to provide the go kart frame with wheels and axel and whatnot

2 Likes