Fun Rideable Toys - PEV Build Discussion 🏎️

Problem for me is I don’t know anything about 3d printing or designing anything for them.

I am working popsicle sticks and tape here!!!

1 Like

You could get a standard 5V ebike throttle and arduino the 5V output into PPM. Might need to mod the spring system to get it to center instead of going all the way forward.

3 Likes

So far all the twist throttle I’ve seen only twist one way without being able to use a brake feature unless you wire in the lever (which is personally rather not do) I’m sure that can be modded pretty easy but I haven’t seen one in person yet just online so it make it hard for me to guess without my hands on it.

That is a good idea and thanks!

1 Like

You got a friend in me

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I meant by modding the spring. If you can mechanically get it to stay in the center, you can programmatically set that point as the throttle/brake center. I’ve never seen the internals of those throttles tho, so idk how easy it is to do.

4 Likes

I’m hoping to revive this project this summer:

My friend needs to find a frame though the one we were gonna use before is no longer an option

3 Likes

Yes! Drift trike for me. I am going rear wheel drive, (some use a hub motor on the front).
Live rear axel with one large drive motor. I’ll probably try fabing the frame. Depending on the width of those carts you’re doing, I don’t see why our drive lines couldn’t be identical.
But, it won’t be for a couple months though.

2 Likes

Awesome Build! Can you Link the Motor that you used?

1 Like

That one is the stock 24v 250W brushed motor. It’s currently overvolted to 36v.

2 Likes

I’m looking at a motor that states 48 volt 1500 watt (weaved into the spikes style) what kind of battery should I get to power this. I don’t want it under powered but I don’t want to blow it up either.

Any suggestions welcomed. 13s equals 48 v but I don’t get the wattage rating the go by.

That equates to a rated max 30A of current draw, any 13s pack that can output that much would work at the motor’s ratings. I’d probably go 2p at least unless you use high power cells.
You also don’t need to stick exactly to 48V, the motor doesn’t care that much

3 Likes

So I can just get any pack for the most part I taking it, I’d like more than 2p just for range reasons.

If you don’t mind sharing in dumb terms how did you get that 30A rating off what said. Best I could figure you divided 1500 by 48 is that correct?

1 Like

Yep, watts = volts * amps
When you select cells, make sure that their continuous discharge rating times the number of cells in parallel is greater than 30A

1 Like

Thank you very much!!! Will do.

1 Like

for anyone using ebike hub motors what esc is the best choice to power them? i dont think i want to use the kit every place sells a version of, id like to get something that will hold up. (48v or 13S 40A maybe more)

Any single vesc based esc that meets your minimum specs will control it just fine.

The ebike hubs pin out to a 9 pin higo usually (from bafang) so this adapter will give you the common 3 phase and sensor wires.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I assumed but I wanted to make sure. Thank you for the replay as usual :handshake:

The hub I’m looking at has all the loose wires coming out so in my case it’s just a matter of making extensions for phase and sensor wires but good looking out!

There are not the same amount of sensor wires on it as Esk8 motors have I hope it’s as easy as color matching but the description doesn’t say what color wire does what, so I’ll have to figure that out.

1 Like

@DerelictRobot @jack.luis do our plans for electric off-road karts/buggies fit in with this thread? :grin:

2 Likes

I’m bringing my razor scooter thing to Portland bro

But I totally think we should build one of these each of us so we could fuck around

3 Likes

Parts are starting to come in, ESC should be here soon along with hub motor :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

7 Likes