Xmatic - VESC iOS Bluetooth App

I be k00k… if k00k could make app… k00k would have already…

k00k make things physical things work… k00k not understand the migratory and breeding habits of 'lctrons…

@Twan I just started using the Xmatic app and really appreciate all the effort. It’s a lot of work to keep an app going and I think a lot of people expect too much for a $6 app.

The app connected to the board without much effort (running VESC 3.65 on FS 4.20 w/ NRF51 bluetooth module). The stats seem to feed real-time and show up on my Apple Watch as expected. The simple watch UI is perfect for checking stats while riding, which is the primary reason I downloaded the app in the first place. The trip tracking turned out to be a really nice feature I wasn’t planning on using much, but it’s good to compare trips and current utilization for a given route.

A few notes of bugs and future improvements…

1. [bug] I can read mode config from my board, but I get a “Write Failed” when trying to apply a new mode.

2. [feature] Modes needs a way to save off current board settings as a new mode, so they can be restored without VESC tool. Right now, you can lose configs very easily (if writing modes worked for me). And the “ON BOARD” doesn’t show the Max ERPM anywhere, which is what I really want to control.

3. [feature] Apple Watch app needs to stay on the screen like a workout app, it disappears after timeout making it hard to pull up current speed and battery life. The work-around I’m using is to setup the apple watch to resume the last app running, which isn’t ideal.

4. [feature] CAN FWD should be a first class UI element. It’s too clunky to jump to change settings and back to the modes or stats screen. When applying modes, it would be nice for the app to prompt or warn that the settings need to be applied to both VESCs. Seems like its too easy to get things out of sync.

5. [feature] Ideally, the double stats would be read from the CAN bus in real time. Doubling the single motor stats is a reasonable estimation for now though (which is what I assume you are doing?).

6. [bug] Not all stats doubling is functioning properly (i.e motor temp is doubled).

7. [feature] TCP Bridge! Would love to avoid opening up my enclosure to do VESC Tool config.

I think the only critical bug is the lack of mode write support. I’d really appreciate that so I can setup a SLOOOOW mode for friends that want to hop on the board.

1 Like

For the Apple Watch screen timeout, it seems my workaround isn’t consistently working. In any case, it may be as simple as enabling Mindfulness in the Extended Runtime Sessions: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/watchkit/using_extended_runtime_sessions

Would love to see a fix for this issue and the VESC write errors! I’d be willing to help if you’re able to share access on GitHub.

@Twan

Does Xmatic support writing motor settings via app if you have a Unity loaded with FW 5.01?

Sorry, does the application support ended?

@Twan will you update the app to support 5.02 and the upcoming 5.03?

1 Like

does anybody know if the Xmatic app woks with the integradted bt module of the spintend ubox esc?
KR and thx very much!!

Yup, works for me.

1 Like

nice thx man
with the 5.2 FW on the ubox and the 1.6 on the app right?
Any issues when setting it up?
kr

Reading stats works with FW 5.2, writing only works for FW 5.1
The app will tell you that though.

2 Likes

ok got it thx again man!!

Should I remove the stock bluetooth module in a Unity when using nrf51 module with xmatic app. The stock bt module is crap right on the unity or can I use it?

xmatic works with stock unity ble module.

1 Like

Is this not for android?

It is not

Why not? Is it too much work to make it for android?
Is there any app similar to this one for android?

Who knows, I’m not even sure the developer is still active

If you’re talking about data tracking, the only ones that I know of that work with a bluetooth module are the Ackmaniac app and the Vesc official app

Otherwise you need a module for telemetry

I want something like this but I am not a fan of iphone

Hi man, great app but modes don’t work on dual set up - every time I apply mode my Invert motor direction changes from true to false … making wheels spin opposite directions

1 Like

Works with Ubox Spintend dual Vesc