With Morning Comes Mistfall

u need to integrate a bottle opener in the design :crazy_face: if u ever make them in metal

3 Likes

Now let’s see one where the dick is the nose/bill, aka “dickface”, or the dick is the whole head like dickasaurus.

2 Likes

I’ll try to remember to draw up a dickosaurus later :joy:

3 Likes

I’m scarred :sob:

Test units are here! @SeanHacker and I will be testing these out, lugging around our massive boards. If they hold up well then I’ll order a few dozen for sale on duckbatterysystems.com :metal:

11 Likes

I made a thread for these eMTB handles so I can stop “clogging” my otherwise very active build thread :joy:

2 Likes

Lol! How that 10p working for you? Also 100th post!

2 Likes

It’s doing great! I have my VESCs set up for 40A battery max each, so 80A battery max total. Even when gunning it I get basically 0 sag.

I also still haven’t gotten around to putting balance leads or a BMS on this battery, but it’s still perfectly in balance (i check it with a multimeter every few charges).

These Tesla cells are the shit.

1 Like

Yeah, I notice these tesla cells stay in balance really well, even when I run them at 15amps, the bms hardly ever has to balance

1 Like

How do they do, sag-wise, when you run them at 15A?

Nothing crazy, about 5-6 volts for 8p at 100amps

1 Like

10p 100amps should be a cake walk

1 Like

Battery never got over 35c according to bms app temp probe

1 Like

Wow, your battery voltage sags a LOT more than mine. Then again you are also pulling two to three times more current that I am haha. I ride like a little bitch. The 10p helps too I’m sure. My voltage is pretty flat across my whole ride.

1 Like

Yeah i am gunning it alot lol, lots of hills around my parts

1 Like

Any chance of an E-TOXX style design in the pipeline??

2 Likes

I finally decided to try out some real off-roading, so I put on my brand new set of MBS T1 tires. Liam and I drove up to an awesome park in North Portland, and we tore around for a bit.

Unfortunately, our ride was cut short due to the fact that these MBS T1 tires are absolutely garbage.

I have never had a flat tire before today. I’ve put about 500 miles on a set of bergs, and 200 miles on the CST 7.5" tires that were on Mistfall before today. These T1’s lasted for less than 8 miles before two of them popped.

The first one that popped, Liam and I were about a mile away from his car. I didnt want to walk all that way, and I still had hope that our ride could continue, so I spent 10 minutes on the side of the road patching the tire. It has been punctured by a small nail. That patch seemed to work great, so we kept riding, but headed back towards the car.

We looped back through Pier Park (where we were off-roading on the packed dirt and gravel trails), and about a quarter mile from the car the second tire popped. Want to know what popped that one? A fucking stick. We were close enough to the car that I just lugged it back, as I was too fed up to bother patching another garbage tire.

All in all, I’m pretty sad these didn’t work out. The combination of bindings and knobby tires gives great control on dirt and gravel, and I was having a blast ripping around the park. Im going back to the trusty CST tires for now, and when I’m ready to go off-road again I’ll pick up some of those rock hard AliExpress tires.

8 Likes

Yeah unfortunately I have to share the same review of the T1s. Glad you at least got to cruise around for a bit before double popping.

3 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of the T1s either. While I haven’t had any punctures, they don’t have a ton of grip on loose surfaces and feel more like a hybrid street/offroad tire since they were designed for weight. The T3 tread pattern is far more aggressive with bigger knobs, and would likely do better offroad.

4 Likes

Time for an update, boys and girls.

So this foam didn’t end up working out. It started tearing off the exposed tips (where I intended to grip-tape, but didn’t have a good way of actually doing it) really quickly, and then the foam under the grip tape started disintegrating soon after that as well.

Not to mention that the foam’s original intent was to act as a riser/wire tunnel for my phase wires, and that was just never going to work. Put a 250lb monkey (me) on top of that foam and it compresses down to nothing, leaving said monkey standing directly on top of the wires.

So it’s gotta go!

These wires actually held up really well under the grip tape. No discernable wear at all, despite me standing pretty much on top of them for 500 miles of riding.

Dirty dirty! I didnt realize so much shit would get caught under here! Those dimples in the foam also tell me that my mounting bolts were probably stressing the plastic box more than they should have been. I’ll try to fix that when I re-mount it.

I was having lots of trouble getting the foam off, even with iso and a razor, so I ordered an eraser wheel that made short work of it.

The eraser wheel kinda did a number on the deck finish (I pressed too hard) but it’s all getting covered over again anyway.

I am not super thrilled with the bodge-job I did on the phase wires. My original goal was to use MR69 connectors panel mounted into the box, but that project is on permanent hiatus pending me learning how to actually design a PCB. So instead I just drilled some holes to slide bullets through, which looked like shit but worked.

The main problem with that strategy is that it was entirely un-serviceable, because my motor phase wires were trapped under the grip tape.

I’ll be re-doing all that with panel mounted MR60s and GX12-6 connectors (for now). Im going to do a panel on the box that the under-the-grip wires will attach to, and then another panel at the end of the deck for each motor to attach to. That way the wires under the grip can be disconnected from the box and the motors independently, so both can be removed and swapped out as needed.

Instead of foam, for this re-build I will be using ⅛" solid rubber, which I hope will hold up much better. I also wont be covering the tips, because there was no point to that.

Also, before you say it @DerelictRobot, I agree that disassembling my only DIY board one week before CarvePDX was a bad idea :joy:

16 Likes